close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Savage Axis -vs- Edge

Discussion in 'Savage' started by LeftHandShooter, Jan 22, 2011.

1. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Evangelist

Lookong to get a Savage Axis XP in .223, and can only find Edge ones.

Is there any difference in these two models?

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I overheard one of the sales people at Cabela's explaining to a customer that they were the same except for the name change. Of course I can't prove that.

3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmmm,

the initial explanation from the manufacturer was trouble over using the name Edge. Axis is just the name replacement.

4. Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe G&G Newbie

Yep. I was looking into them and on the Savage site it said that they decided to change it. I don't know why.

5. LeftHandShooter

I was just told that they are the same, except the AXIS is around $40 more!

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

If I was looking for a Savage economy rifle I would go for the stevens 200. I took a look at the Savage edge and I found it to be a remington 710 clone. Was not too impressed.

7. LeftHandShooter

Got a phone call from a dealer in SHelby, Ohio I used to deal with (still do some). He has the Axis for $329 on order, but it'll be between 7 days to 3 weeks, and it is a 85 mile drive one way. Might take him up on it as it is past my parent's farm and I need to see them anyway.

I can cancel the one on order just by telling them I found another. The salesman told me that, and that he is not on commission so it is okay with him.

8. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

lefthand i know we discussed the axis the other day and i'd still reccomend the axis as a good shooter if bottom line price and a good shooter out of the box were your only 2 concerns but tex does have a good point with the stevens. and if later you wanted to upgrade the stock or something the stevens would be the way to go.

take a looksee at pannells firearms they have the stevens 200 in .223 for $335 and the axis for $279 .there out of georgia but prolly could ship to a dealer near you.

with the axis you get better price with the stevens you can one day turn it into a good target gun with barrel and stock upgrades( the axis lugs are built into the stock not one the reciever). but both shoot 1' groups @ 100 yards with a medium grade scope right outa the box. both would be a fine hunting rifle( altho i'd still reccomend the .243 but a .223 would destroy coyotes and whotnot at 200 yds all day long). both would be a fine "truck" gun, practically indestructable. and both would be a excellent fun shooter without goin broke.

ack...forgot...yes axis and egde are same thing. something was up about a copyright issue with the name

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. LeftHandShooter

Rock,
    I appreciate your input (along with all the others), but when it comes down to reality, I have not been hunting in 17 years, other than the offhand red squirrel/groundhog at my parent's farm shot from the window or besides the house. Groundhog hunting is moe like a fantasy for me anymore since I live in the city.

I will check out the Stevens though. The order I placed can be cancelled at any time as I did not put down a deposit.

10. deadzero

deadzero G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The Axis and the Edge are the same rifle. why Savage is charging more for the Axis is beyond me. What came down to me thru my wholesaler was Savage was taken to court for using the name "Edge" for the rifle. some type of patent infringement. aparently someone else owns that name. (I know there's shaving cream by that name).

anyway, after Christmas I have been having problems getting the Edge rifle. as the renamed Axis rifles come available to my supplier I'm able to fill orders, but at the higher price. This ones been kind of strange.

11. 18whlsrolin

18whlsrolin G&G Newbie

Wher to buy either on the cheap

Buds gun shop ships for free and there is no taxes except in KY.
    The savage edge is $291
    The Axis is $259-$279
    They have a buds dealer finder on web site. There is normally a $20 transfer fee from dealer it is shipped to unless you are friends with dealer but that is still less than most state taxes and the price can't hardly be beat. Walmart comes close but taxes make them at least $30 higher.
    I know it has been a while since posting but hopefully this helps someone.

12. eeksplee

eeksplee G&G Regular

Its the same gun.. just the name

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted