Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 110 long action in 7mm rem mag and am thinking of getting a 22-250 barrel. Would a short action bolt face fit on a long action bolt? I never use the magazine so feed problems are not an issue.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Contact Savage Customer Service on their 800#.The bolt can be easily changed to fit the smaller head on the .22-250 and adapt to shorter action. You dont have to buy a whole new bolt.The barrel will fit leaving only headspacing to do.The proper time to headspace is when you have the bolt stripped.Dont even have the ejector(that little round pin that sticks out of the bolt face)in because you must "feel" the bolt closing.You can get by with a no-go guage but dont put any force on the bolt when guaging and dont get it too tight or some casings wont bolt in.Screw the barrel in,headspace,mark barrel and action,and lock the locknut down tight.I dont advise ir but I have used an unfired and fired and not resized casings for go, no-go guages on what Savage calls their switch barrels. sam.

Go to midwayusa website and read the reviews on Savage barrels.It doesnt cost anyrhing and you get info by people that have done it.Then call Savage. sam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
22-250 bolt head is the same as a 30-06 25-06 Have a 110 I change from 22-250 25-06 on all the time .

Savage no longer makes the small .223 long action bolt head , it is a different length. So if you order one for your long action , order a bolt head for a long action. Otherwise it will be about .125 short. ( bet u can guess how I know that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts