close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Savage dilemma 10/110 30-06

Discussion in 'Savage' started by Jaison, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jaison

Jaison A tale of a forlorn trash panda Forum Contributor

Yonder
    Snuck into Gander Mountain to see if any scopes had come down in price.

They had a Savage 10/110 International XP (30-06) reduced to $489.00.:eek:

Here's the dilemma-- the 30-06 is a great caliber for the deer around here, but I've been heavily considering a .308. In fact, that's what I was looking for when I saw the 30-06.

.308 is cheaper to shoot, very effective, etc, but that sure is a great price on that 30-06.

Does anyone have experience with the 10/110 30-06? The search pulls up 3 year old threads so I'm hoping for some updated thoughts.

Thanks ahead of time!

minkowski1552 likes this.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Mine shoots just as good as my Remington 700 SPS.

I like shooting the .308 at the range for marksmanship practice. When it comes time for killing a large critter, I take the .30-06.

minkowski1552 and Jaison like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the wife shoots a 110 in 30-06.
    she don't like recoil so much.
    I make my own ammo.
    problem solved.

minkowski1552 and Jaison like this.
  4. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Did you check to see if they had one in
    .308 for the same price? Then it just becomes what caliber you really want.

minkowski1552, jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  5. Jaison

Yonder
    Thanks, gents.

SUBMOA- yes, sir. I looked, but they were sold out. However, they're supposed to get more rifles in this weekend. Dude said he'd imagine there will be .308s, but he can't promise. Doesn't know manufacturer, either.

I've let many good deals slip through my fingers over the years and I'm wondering if I'm doing the same thing here.

6. SUBMOA

I would check around at other big retailers and compare prices. Once a year near Christmas the w stores. Every one seems to hate, have a 20% off sale. Takes a nice chunk off a firearm.

minkowski1552 likes this.
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

The only real advantage to the .30-06 vs the .308 is that you can use heavier bullets, or launch the same weight bullets farther with the same energy on target.

8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You could always rebarrel it to 308 Winchester and either sell the 30-06 Springfield barrel or store it in the safe. It won't spoil, shrink, warp, or dry rot probably and you might run into a used Savage 10/110, 11/11, or Stevens 200, etc at some point that needed a new barrel and voilà, you are all fixed up ...

9. runfiverun

or have it chopped rethreaded and screwed back on.
    probably cheaper to buy a new barrel though.

minkowski1552, jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  10. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    I had a Savage .22 in my hands today at Gander, a bolt action, I think Mark II ( i couldn't see the tag, didn't have my reading glasses). Nice, wood stock. I didn't question too much as I didn't want to be tempted, yet i'm in the market for another .22 rifle. Good thing though, I went there by bike today and would probably have a hard time explaining to NYS troopers as to why I have a rifle strapped to my fork tube. Was enough fun stuffing a tackle bag into the saddlebags. I might have to go back AGAIN!

Jaison and ChaZam like this.
  11. SUBMOA

That being said you can still load some pretty heavy bullets in .308 case . I'm thinking up to 220 gr. I think I have recipes for in my manual. But the powder capacity is as you say the big difference.

12. ChaZam

Jaison and SUBMOA like this.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

You CAN, but you give up too much velocity, due to the decreased powder capacity combined with the heavier bullet.

The heaviest bullets I have had any real success with in the .308 was the 180 grainers. If I need a heavier bullet, it gets loaded for 30-06 use.

14. ChaZam

I agree that the 180 grainers are about the max for a 308, and really to me the external ballistics seem to be best in the 155 to 168 grain range.

Ten Man and Jaison like this.
  15. runfiverun

IMO 165 is about it for the 308.
    I see some numbers thrown out there for the 308 that I get uncomfortable with.
    it is already a higher pressure round then guy's start pushing that even further.

a 150-165 at 2650 maybe 2700 is about all I expect out of a 308 with a 22" barrel.
    I shoot my 0-6 with 150's at 2800, the wife is more in the 2600 range.
    I actually duplicate the oldest girls 7.7 jap rifle ballistics for the wife.

I run my 7x57's at 2750-2875 with 140gr bullets at lower pressures than the 308 starts out with at nominal velocity's.
    I'm not saying there is something wrong with the 308 it's great when used as intended.
    but you just can't push it up much more than it already is.
    it is a lot easier to work the 0-6 down.
    or have a rifle built to take the X57 case necked to 30 cal like I did.

Jaison, Ten Man and ChaZam like this.
  16. 1 of each will solve the dilemma

minkowski1552, SUBMOA, ChaZam and 2 others like this.
  17. Jaison

Yonder
    My apologies for posting a question that ultimately turned out irrelevant.

Going in a whole different direction. I had a chance to get a 7.62x39 upper at a great price, so I started a build I've wanted to do for a while.

The .308 vs .30-06 debate will eventually come up again (can't have too many guns;)),
    but the new AR's going to drain the kitty for the time being.

Maybe if we keep getting so much overtime, another kitty can be filled.:usa:

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who helped this ol' mangy, snaggle-toothed raccoon.:)

ChaZam likes this.