Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Every1, Im new to the forum and im looking into a gun...
I was looking at a Savage Model 111FCXP3 The package one. I've been doing some reading and it seems as if there are mixed oppinion on savage Vs some other big name Companys. Im not looking to spend that much about 400-500$. The question i have is. Is this rife woth the Money? Do i really need Accu-Trigger? Basically i want a little info on this gun or something like it. Im interested in getting it in 7mm Mag.

Thank you..

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I own and love/hate my Savage.

Here's what I have to say about them - You get what you pay for. But that can mean basic, not poor. The Savages are very accurate. Possibly the best for their price. There are a few things I'd complain about from a design perspective, but truth be told they were never a problem for me.

There is one thing I and not I alone hate about Savages - Their Magazines. Seems that they're the weak link in the whole thing.

My advice? Buy a model that takes a detachable magazine. You can still load from the top. But if the mag has any problems, repair and replacement is much much much easier and more contained. The model you listed does have a detachable magazine.

Accu-trigger or no? I have heard wonderful things about the accu-trigger. I honestly don't care. I would rather have something simpler when hunting than an accu-trigger. Therefore I'd say with getting used to the gun you'd be just as happy without an accu-trigger as with.

One more thing - Others may disagree with me on this, but Savage package gun scopes, being the cheaper models by Simmons or Tasco, may not be the right choice for a magnum round. 308 and under I think will be ok.

Good luck! Long as your magazine feeds correctly I think you'll love a Savage bolt action.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've got the Savage Model 10FP-LE2 in 7.62X51 NATO with a Millett 6X16X56 Mildot scope, Best shooting rifle I've ever owned. Accu-Trigger is best trigger out there.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

·
Registered
314 Posts
we got 2 savages in the house... ive got the 12bvss in .308 and my son has the fv in 22-250, both WILL shoot... dont have the accu trigger on ,but do have them turned down to 3 #'s and they are crisp.... no complants

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 4 all the replies every1...
I think im gonna stick with it, i've been reading around and it sounds like its good 4 what im gonna be using it for. Mainly( Deer and Occasionally Bear ) thats why i want 7mm.

"One more thing - Others may disagree with me on this, but Savage package gun scopes, being the cheaper models by Simmons or Tasco, may not be the right choice for a magnum round. 308 and under I think will be ok."

What do you think i should go with a tasco? Im gonna be shooting in brush and fields. Sometimes woods, So i dont really need anything too strong.. If you guys have any advise please..

Thank you

·
Registered
314 Posts
ive herd that guys buy then just fir the rifles. they trash the scope and replace it with something better.....

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Strong scopes are needed when the rifle recoils hard. A light weight rifle like savage and a powerful round like the 7mm Rem Mag should have a decent scope, even if you baby it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Great Gun

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I own a Savage 111. Synthetic stock, plus a 3-9X40 scope for $369.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Not to shabby, and a solid gun. The bolt is big and tough, have to handle it with some purpose. All around great gun though. You've got the legs to do pretty much anything you want with it. Real consistent at the range as far as accuracy goes. Put it in a vice if you can. Mine loves Remington CoreLockt, and I've heard Vital Shocks perform decent as well.

Take Care,

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts