Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shoot one of these? Would like to hear your thoughts before getting serious about it. I am thinking about the 308. Looking at this primarily for bench rest and anything close to the truck. Not planning on carrying this thing to far!

Thanks

Rifle Details Below
(sorry couldn't figure the picture thing out)

Law Enforcement Series
Model 10FP-LE2A – with AccuTrigger™
Action - Short
Caliber - 223 Rem. 308 Win.
Overall Length - 43.75"
Barrel Length- 26"
Weight-11.25 lbs.
Magazine Capacity -4 rounds
Stock - Black synthetic, Choateâ„¢ adjustable stock with accessory rail and swivel studs.

Sights - Drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Rifling Rate of Twist - 223 Rem. (1 in 9")308 Win. (1 in 10")

Features: AccuTriggerâ„¢, matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel, oversized bolt handle, internal box magazine, and third swivel stud for bipod.

Suggested Retail - $698.00

p.s. If any admin types read this, could you PM me on how to insert an image into a post? I ain't having much luck at it. :p

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sorry this doesn't help much, but I haven't shot one.
However I am also looking very heavy in to one of these as well and would love some feedback too.
With the record of accuracy Savage has, (if I had the money) I would not hesitate on getting one. In 308 of course. I can get a 223 in something else.
Savage has risen to be a very promenant company and I have a lot of respect for what they have done. They got it where it counts.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like you and I have the same problem. No Money! :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Good point.
But I have to say this model looks to be an awesome rifle. I read a review on it saying how accurate it was just with a cold barrel. That seems to really have impressed the wrighter. But here is another 2 articles that might help you out a little.
Go to http://www.savagearms.com/lawarticles.htm

Like I said I think this gun has tons of potiential and would be a killer addition to anyones collection.
Looks like a keeper to me.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Fine rifle for the money. I personally favor the Remington 700, but they are a little more costly. But, if you are expecting bench rest acuracy (One hole groups). Forget it. You wont get that from an out of the box rifle. A minute of angle (1" per 100 yards) is the best that you can expect to get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just my two cents: I occasionally run into a real police sniper that visits my favorite gun store because he knows the owner. He loves the new Accutrigger and the Savage Law Enforcement models.

'Nuff Said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Savage factory is about 30 minutes from my facility, in fact they let us teach MA Firearms Courses there as well as Hunter Safety Education.
I've shot the gun and had it for a while...not too bad, certainly a value for the money.
Mine was a little stiff from the factory but it is a VERY easy gun to work on.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Hey...you're talking about the gun I use for deer hunting. The Rem 700 BDL, with checkered stock in a 30-06 is more than enough gun to hunt deer in heavy timber. :)

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Ox my choice was the VSSF .308 Win because of the kevlar HS Precision stock -- I recently put it up against a coworkers savage and he couldn't get near my groups clear out to 300 yards that day

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shaun said:
...he couldn't get near my groups clear out to 300 yards that day
That could be the shooter or other factors, too.

All I know is that the police sniper I occasionally run into is totally satisfied with his Savage LEO models, and he has shot them in competition.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well, if nothing else, it would make an awesome base for a custom job.
All of us here(weither we admit it or not) know that Savage hasn't got where they are today(or should I say got BACK where they are?) by not making a solid, accurate, and surely dependable rifle.
I say you probably wouldn't go wrong with it.
Everyone has their preferences, be it Remington, Savage, Ruger, Winchester, or whatever else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To Silver Run,i Own A Savage Bvss Model12 223 With Accu Trigger, 1 In 9 Twist Flutted Barrel, Shoots 1/2 > 3/4 At 100 Yards With 10 Shots And 2 1/2 At 300 Yards With 10 Shots Off The Bench . I Have Put A 36 Power Tasco Target Scope And A Bipod. To Me This Is My Favourite Rifle. I Have Shot In The F Class 300 And 400 Yard Shoots In My Home Town Of Bundaberg In Australia. I Am Very Happy With The Savage, I Am Making A Lot Of Shooters Here Eat Their Words. Buy For Now.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the good info! I think you convinced me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fine rifle for the money. I personally favor the Remington 700, but they are a little more costly. But, if you are expecting bench rest acuracy (One hole groups). Forget it. You wont get that from an out of the box rifle. A minute of angle (1" per 100 yards) is the best that you can expect to get.

I started out with a custom built Rem 700 .308 built by Tactical Rifles out of Miami. After shooting the Savage, I sold the rifle 2 days later and bought a savage of my own. I have owned a custom built Sako, Rem, and Weatherby and can honestly say the Savage is the best. The others obviously had better features here and there, IE the Sako had a better action and the had a slightly better fit (being custom built) but all in all the accuracy of the OUT OF THE BOX savage was head and tails above either. Not to mention the trigger was amazing. But what would a school trained Marine sniper and two time Sniper Open Chapion know about that kind of stuff?

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts

sorry but I have to disagree with you there.

I have the Savage Model 10 FCPXP. out of the box, with a proper break in of the barrel, and custom handloads for that chamber, it will tear one ragged hole if I'm up to it. This is an "out of the box rifle". I purchased it because two different SWAT snipers, from 2 different departments, both told me it was the most accurate rifle they ever shot "out of the box".

included is two targets with Hornady 168 gr. A-Max in .308, 100 yd, 5 shot groups.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the 10fp in .223 and it does well, i have the 10pc,(le) in .308 and it does very good, even better with the wedge left loose. For my long range rifle i went with a model 12 fvss in .308 and durmax stock.

It now has a little over 350rds through it and the best group to date is a three shot group in a 1" orange stickum. This was done off of a old folgers coffee can with a half full sand bag on top for a rest at 342yds, the furtherst i can shoot at this rifle range.

No i can't do this all the time, however it shows what the rifle is capable of. Todays savages will shoot as well as anything out there for the same money. It simply comes down to what brand of rifle "fits" you and the amount of time you are willing to spend learning it. blue

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have never been a Savage fan until recently. I signed up for a course to help fine tune my shooting. I needed a .75-1 moa .308 rifle out of the box. I'm left-handed, so that limits me. I also wanted a stock with an aluminum bedding block.

My choices were a Rem 700 - can't remember the exact model (but I dislike Remington also), and a Savage 10-FLCP. The FLCP comes with the new Acutrigger and Accustock and also has a fluted barrel and factory muzzle brake. I went ahead and go it and at the range it blew my socks off! When I found which ammo it likes best I was .5-.75 moa.

I went to the marksmanship course and it did everything I needed - it held 1 moa out to 400 yards (the length of the range). I'm sold on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts