Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting close to retirement and have not owned or shot a .22 for nearly 40 years. So, I'm thinking of adding a .22 to the rifle and shotgun collection. Purpose is gophers, plinking, and enough target shooting that I don't embarrass myself at the first two.

Priorities for the gun are a bolt action, heavy barrel, and a "nice" trigger. By a nice trigger I mean one that is not too heavy, does not move perceptably to fire, and feels good (wide). I like the trigger on my older Remington 700, but there may be better. Lastly I don't want to break the bank on it.

I will likely recycle a centerfire rife scope for it, either a 4X Weaver, or 6X Redfield (original Colorado mfg). If I can't find any mounts for it on hand, the B-Square Sport Utility Rings seem to look adequate.

This has lead me to the choice noted above. What do you think? Is it a good fit for my priorities? Have I overlooked some other obvious choices? All comments welcome,

Ron

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
CZ 452 varmint it's got a heavy bbl. and a adjustable trigger.
i love mine

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the savage is a decent rifle, but i'm with billy on this one- the CZ is a better rifle. you may also want to consider a rimfire scope or at least one with an AO.

·
Banned
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
CZ 452 varmint it's got a heavy bbl. and a adjustable trigger.
i love mine
Thanks Billy. I will put it on my shopping list for consideration. On a quick look I saw a couple of things that concern me (probably without cause). First when I look at the gun on the mfg website it appears the stock has a knot in the wood just behind the front sling mount. See this photo:

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main002.png

While I appreaciate that every stock is going to be different, I am surprised that the mfg would use this one to promote the gun? Is it a fair indication of the quality of wood they use for the stock?

Next I found this review which makes this comment about the trigger. Not sure if this is an accurate description of what the trigger is really like, but it describes the type that is not my first choice -- it feels like it moves a long way under pressure of the pull.

"The trigger pull of this rifle deserves some criticism. It is too heavy as set by the factory (like most triggers these days), but worst of all it has a tremendous amount of not very smooth creep before it breaks. We did not attempt to adjust the trigger, but it is user adjustable for weight of pull."

CZ Model 452 and 513 Rifles

Your comments as a user are more important and I appreciate any feedback you may have.

Ron

the savage is a decent rifle, but i'm with billy on this one- the CZ is a better rifle. you may also want to consider a rimfire scope or at least one with an AO.
Can you elaborate on why the CZ is better? Also, can you explain why a rimfire scope would be better? The centerfire scope is zero cost, while I would have to buy the rimfire one. By AO do you mean variable power? If so, yes I would like this but it seems like a cheap test to try the fixed power first (at no cost but the ammo), and decide if a better scope is required.

Again, I appreciate the coments, and admitt I am out of touch with current .22 technology. This gun does not look anything like the one I learned to shoot on 40 years ago. Military type with peep sites.

Ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ron, your questions and research help me too. This is a thread I can learn from as I too will someday be looking to buy my first .22 rifle. Oh, and hello to a fellow canuck as well. :)

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i adjusted my trigger down to maybe 3/4 lb.?
(it is a lot less than my known trigger pull of 1 1/2 lbs. on another of my rifles)
AO =adjustable objective

it's like a small mauser.
i posted those pics so you could see what the wood is like on mine.

i dont have any issues at all with the trigger.
BUT i did blow $10 whole dollars on a brooks trigger kit which spiffed that trigger up like a dream!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the cz is typically going to be a more accurate rifle, with better workmanship.
as billy mentioned, AO is an adjustable objective. standard non rimfire riflescopes are set to be parralax free (depending on model) at 100-150yds, this can cause accuracy problems. rimfire scopes are usually set to be parralax free at 50yds.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I think you would be happy with either one. The Savage accu trigger is nice too I have a Savage and would like a cz also. Why not buy both? if you can afford it.

·
Banned
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
standard non rimfire riflescopes are set to be parralax free (depending on model) at 100-150yds, this can cause accuracy problems. rimfire scopes are usually set to be parralax free at 50yds.
Thanks Lefty. I would never have guessed that. Yes, I can't imagine going over 100 yds with a .22, and 40 yds would likely be closer to the norm.

Ron

Ok, thinking about this a bit more and doing some research on the parallax issue, I have decided it may be a good idea to include a scope with an adjustable objective to compensate for parallax at the different distances. I found a Tasco 2.5-10x42 Target/Varmit scope at a reasonable cost. You can set parallax down to 10'.

I can't say I have ever been a big fan of Tasco or Bushnell, but then I can't see spending more on the scope than the rifle either. Here is a link to some info on the scope:

Tasco. Enjoy the View.

What do you think of this scope?

I'm having a little trouble seeing how there will be time to use the mil-dot system to range find, and then use that to set the parallax, and then figure out how much to compensate for the trajectory. Perhaps one catches on after while and does it before the gopher goes back down the hole!

Ron

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
when i am shooting at various ranges ie. p-dogs i take a shot and then compensate.
i am usually on enough for a headshot the 2nd. time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know how important this may be to you, but the Savage .22 is made in Canada at Savage's Lakefield Ontaro facility. The CZ is an import. Just somthing else to consider.

·
Banned
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know how important this may be to you, but the Savage .22 is made in Canada at Savage's Lakefield Ontaro facility. The CZ is an import. Just somthing else to consider.
Yes, I am aware. Savage bought Lakefield Arms in the mid 90's. I've changed my mind somewhat, on gun choice and likely will order the Savage Mark II BTVS next week.

The BV has a plastic trigger guard, which I know would bug me. Also the BV stock is likely a bit low for a larger (higher scope). I'm less impressed with the SS barrel, but I guess there is no such thing as the perfect choice. Also it would be nice if we Canadians got a break on price for a Canadian made gun. Not so, as I've found no way to match the pricing available in the US.

Hope it works out.

Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts