Savage MK II HELP PLZ!!!

Discussion in 'Savage' started by mntnbkr1968, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mntnbkr1968

mntnbkr1968 G&G Newbie

I posted this in the .22 forum as well, wasn't sure...

Ok here I am for more advice. Mostly I lurk but I know y'all know your stuff so here's what I got yesterday.

Picked up a Savage MK II (pre Accu Trigger) for a great price.
    The trigger feels good but not great.
    Any advice on how to improve the trigger?

Also the local WalMart has a Tasco 3-9x50 that I would really like to stick on this gun (dang thing is CHEAP). So what rings & bases do you recommend?
    I love my scopes very tight to the barrel.

The previous owner said it's a fine shooter but he never had a scope on it or messed with the trigger. I really think this will be a good one when I get it dialed in. I will pick up a nice stock when I get the bucks as well.

Dont hesitate to give detailed advice on trigger work. I'm not a novice, I just can't find good instructions in the searches I have done. I can only seem to find AccuTrigger info.

Thanks in advance,

Monty

2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I've only taken one apart. From what I could see, about the only thing that could be done was to stone the surfaces that rubbed. Of course, this was a regular version rather than the accutrigger, so they may be different. It's pretty much the same with all firearms. Carefully take it apart and use the finest honing stone you can find to carefully stone the surfaces that rub against each other. As for the mount, you could always go with one of these.
    EGW Savage Mark II Picatinny Rail Scope Mount FREE S&H 41500, 41502. Evolution Gun Works Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

3. If you're going to buy a weaver rail like that you may as well get a good one.
    Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - Rimfire Scope Mount - $37.97

4. varmithunter

varmithunter G&G Newbie

The DIP one piece mount is the best. If you have the accutrigger and got the small screwdriver-like device, you can check to see if the trigger is at its lightest setting. Something around 3 lb.s or a bit less. On the Rimfire Central Forum, search on the MKII Savage, trigger and there are a couple of excellent threads with pics. i have lightened mine up and done nothing more. It is a great shooter with 1/2 groups at 50 yd.s . Federal 510B, Fed Automatch and CCI min[​IMG]i-mags work very well in mine. If you go with 2 piece mounts, the Weaver Marlin mounts will fit right on. But the DIP one piece is the way to go as previously stated.
    Here is one of my targets: [​IMG]

here is one at 25 yd.s: The wind was blowing hard enough to rock my target stand from time to time. I didn't have any ribbons with me to read the wind. [​IMG]

The Winchester SS HPs are also a very good load for this and my other bolt rifles as well [Rem Mdl Five & CZ Silhouette] .