Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been eyeballing a couple NOS Savage Model 110 Anniversary Models with engraved receiver and floorplate, figured stock and in general, a pretty dressed up rifle. 1894 of these were built commemorating Savage's founding in 1894. I have always considered Savage to be a hunter's rifle with excellent accuracy and wonder if the juice is really worth the squeeze for these. One of my buddies says they are like putting lipstick on a pig ... the bacon is going to taste the same when you fry it! lol There is around a $600 premium for the Anniversary "trim" over standard grade ... but damn they are beautiful guns.

The seller has .243 Win, .250 Savage and 300 Savage calibers for sale. From a collector's standpoint, would caliber have any bearing on future resale value? I've never shot a 300 Savage and assume it is as punishing from the bench as a 30-06, so the .243 Win or .250 Savage would be my preference for my shooting. I've got a handful of 30-06's I don't shoot having decided they just rattle my old bones too much to be enjoyable to shoot.

Any thoughts?

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel
Musical instrument String instrument accessory Wood Musical instrument accessory Tints and shades

Blue Wood Gun accessory Electric blue Automotive exterior
Air gun Wood Shotgun Eyewear Gun barrel

·
Registered
678 Posts
Eye catching rifle. I guess your question is you "wonder if the juice is really worth the squeeze"? One way to look at getting that answer is to shop around to see what the same amount of money will buy. For example, a well-maintained Ruger Number One is in your price range. Beautiful rifles and they have a proven record of retaining value. You also threw out the question of retained collector value as a function of caliber. Collectors are primarily interested in condition. So, if you intend to use this rifle, forget about a strong collector value. Furthermore, as you stated Savage rifles have a reputation for being a hunter's rifle - a gun to be used in rough conditions - so there is not likely to be a strong market for this specialty gun in a decade or two. OTOH, if you want to have the best-looking rifle at the deer camp, here is your opportunity!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The only way any of these limited edition fireams retain there value is if they are never shot and they need to hav all of the minutia that goes with it when sold. For the added $600 you could buy ammo, reloading equipment/components. Savage makes a great product but they always with few exceptions were geared towards accuracy but at an affordable price.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way any of these limited edition fireams retain there value is if they are never shot and they need to hav all of the minutia that goes with it when sold. For the added $600 you could buy ammo, reloading equipment/components. Savage makes a great product but they always with few exceptions were geared towards accuracy but at an affordable price.
That's a very logical approach right there. I could buy $700 rifle and have plenty left for ammo.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is sure a sweet looking rifle. Good bluing and shiny stock just like I like em. They should be worth a premium even if lightly used. If I were to own just one centerfire I would consider this.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is sure a sweet looking rifle. Good bluing and shiny stock just like I like em. They should be worth a premium even if lightly used. If I were to own just one centerfire I would consider this.
Thanks, I couldn't pass it up either. After looking at the current pricing on standard wood-stocked 110's, the premium was more around $400 and I too, think it was worth it. It's like a modern version of a vintage rifle. It is on its way to my FFL. Brand new, in the box with factory pack. I will scope it and shoot it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks, I couldn't pass it up either. After looking at the current pricing on standard wood-stocked 110's, the premium was more around $400 and I too, think it was worth it. It's like a modern version of a vintage rifle. It is on its way to my FFL. Brand new, in the box with factory pack. I will scope it and shoot it.
Yeah that one looks like a keeper for sure. Some nice engraving plus glossy finished walnut and bluing. Expensive features if they can be found these days. Bet it will be accurate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts