Gun and Game Forum banner

Savage Model 24SE

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  savparts 
#1 ·
I bought a Savage Model 24SE over the weekend. I used to own a model 24 when I was younger that had a darker stock. I am assumung that it was walnut. The stock on the SE model is light. I want to strip it down and stain it walnut. I was wondering what color of walnut stain I could use to be close to the walnut color of the darker stocks?

#2 ·
Likely it is stocked with a very close grained non porous wood like my Savage 94. I tried to refinish this with a Red/Brown oil finish (Pilkington's) and although it looks pretty good, is not near as dark as the walnut stock I am now doing with the same oil for a different project.
If you want this wood to stain dark, go to your local hardware store and look at the minwax wood stains and go from there, something like a dark walnut should work.

Of course, if you're really wanting a walnut stock and like the fitting and finishing work, Fajen's sells walnut replacements for most anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.