Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a savage model five rifle from my grandfather and there is a problem with the bolt catching. The notch on the end of the bolt does not always rotate back all the way like it should, causing the bolt to not close completely. Do I need to actually fix something, or just grease it?
Also, I really want to put a scope on this instead of fixing the sights. Is that possible? Any other information about this gun would be helpful, because I can't seem to find any.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would certainly give it a good cleaning and then oiling. Many times these older inherited guns have sat in closets or gunracks for years and have become dry. Any oil that was on/in them has dried up and perhaps turned to junk. If you know how to disassemble the bolt, that would be best. If not get a good aerosol solvent and give it a good soaking. And clean as best you can. Then then apply GUN OIL.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've never owned a M-5, so I'm not familiar enough w/it to tell you. You might try asking on the avage forum. Either here, or at Rimfirecentral.com.
A good soaking will help alot. If you have an air compressor or access to comprssed air, that would help to blow any dissolved junk out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts