close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Savage Model 64 Magazine issues

Discussion in 'Savage' started by The_Wardog, May 17, 2017.

1. I posted this as a side note in another thread...just realized I should post here.

I have never found any aftermarket options for savage 64 .22 magazines. the ones it has available, the cast-metal model, SUCKS. It consistently jams. I love the accuracy of this gun, and want to keep it on hand for my wife to use in the future, but I have a few requirements for an operative firearm:

1) It must be accurate

2) It must be reliable

3) It must be field-expedient repairable

So far this gun falls on it's face at #2. I've modded the mags following instructions online, it now causes the bullets the scrape the mag edge going in, putting a cut in their tip/forward side. This is unacceptable. Further mods will not be done, neither will I buy more magazines of the same type.

I need an aftermarket option, otherwise this gun will become a door jam as I move toward a ruger 10/22 or a marlin. Without reliability, a gun is a worthless piece of metal to me, and the magazine seems to be the weak link in this design.

neophyte and Jaison like this.
  2. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well I just came from savage arms web page and it appears that this is a current model offering from them. Why not ship it back to savage with a letter of the rifles problems ? Are you looking at higher capacity magazines with the after market mags or what is the reason for not using a oem mag ? Does the problems exist with a oem mag ? The oem mags I have seen are stamped sheet metal with staked corners joining the peices to form a box nothing cast other than the red plastic follower.

rando and neophyte like this.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You could pawn it for the cost of a couple 10-22 magazines.

4. Maybe I misinterpret what I'm seeing. if the metal mags aren't cast, then they're poor quality stamp metal. The mag that came with it, and the spare OEM I bought, both have the same problem. Looking into it from above the metal is uneven from one side to the other, and squirrely-looking. My GI m-16 stamped mags are better quality and load reliably. I don't care about high capacity, 10 rounds on a .22 is fine for what I'm doing. I just want something with reliability and good quality control.

I don't think I'd waste money mailing the gun in. Maybe contact them directly to inquire about some new mags, inspected prior to delivery. But from what I'm seeing online this is an endemic problem with the magazine design.

5. Jaison

Jaison They who choose safety over liberty gain neither Forum Contributor

Yonder
    You got any photos, Wardog? Just for curiosity's sake?

neophyte likes this.
  6. SUBMOA

I bought a mk2 savage a couple of years back. The mag that came with it was poorly assembled at one of the mags corners where the stakes that held the assembly together were done poorly allowing one of the mags corners to spread. I ended up purchasing a new magazine and inspected it immediately upon receipt of the mag . It was ok and I hadn't had a problem since. I would contact savage and see what they say.

neophyte likes this.
  7. Sorry, at present I do not. I'm one of the neanderthals who switched BACK to a flip phone (horrid pictures lol). Also all my pics would show are the filing I did to the feed ramp, so the main issue won't be visible as I don't have pics from before the work.

rando, neophyte and Jaison like this.
  8. Jaison

Yonder
    Lol! I know two other Neanderthals who switched back to old school phones-- one of them being my sister who is by far the smartest person in the family.

neophyte and The_Wardog like this.
  9. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

minkowski1552, The_Wardog and SUBMOA like this.
  10. I guess I'll have to attempt to modify a new mag. Or go with a new gun.

11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just me, but before I would go to modding and/or butchering factory or aftermarket parts I would contact the manufacturer. Savage stands behind their products with a good warranty and customer service.

minkowski1552, neophyte and SUBMOA like this.
  12. You think maybe if I requested a couple of inspected magazines, they'd oblige?

neophyte likes this.
  13. SUBMOA

The_Wardog, ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  14. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

minkowski1552, SUBMOA, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  15. I've submitted a request for solutions to the jamming issue. i'm hoping to get 3 or 4 magazines with consistent loading. I don't want a gun that isn't reliable. you never know what situation you'll find yourself in, and even if it never comes to it, I expect each of my guns to work reliably for hunting or defense.

SUBMOA, Jaison and neophyte like this.
  16. Wow, in less than a day they've already responded. Sending me a free replacement magazine. Nice!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated.

SUBMOA, minkowski1552, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  17. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Now, does that magazine work better than the old ones?
    I have always been exasperated with firearms manufacturers building a very fine gun, then cheaping out on the magazine. Magazines are absolutely critical to proper functioning of the weapon. It's espcially critical for those commercial guns where the owner is not expected to dump it, and constantly replacing them.
    I don't know ifvyou have seen the magazines of the CZ452 and Norinco .22LR bolt rifles? They are interchangeable. CZ makes theirs of cheap plastic. Norinco magazines,are heavy metal, built like tanks. I prefer the Chinese Norinco mags. Step on it, run a car over it, it still works!

minkowski1552 and neophyte like this.
  18. I won't know until i get it in. One thing the rep said was the gun doesn't like hollowpoint, so I'm going to revert to just solid point and see what brand works best.

The mags on the model 64 are pretty durable, heavy metal. It's just the fit seems to be off on the lips and/or feed ramp, and in some instances the follower tilts forward on the final bullet leading to a jam at round 10. It's a real shame as the run gets nickel size groupings at 100 yards with scope, slightly bigger with iron sights. I love how it fires and it's smooth. Throw a great scope and bipod on it and I can be a squirrel's nightmare.

I have some cheap BSA scope on it now, which while it works, never has a clear image, like it's always just barely out of focus regardless of where it's pointed. Not sure how it does that, but it will go away some day and I'll get a nicer scope with clear optics.

minkowski1552, neophyte and Jaison like this.
  19. Jaison

Yonder
    Every scope I've bought after 45 has had the same problem.;):p

neophyte likes this.
  20. Lol I bought this when I was 25 and while my vision isn't perfect, it's good enough to know when my optics suck.

I'm thinking leupold will be next scope purchase.

neophyte and Jaison like this.