Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have Bought A Savage 12bvss In 223 Rem With The New Accu Trigger System.i Have Put A 36 Power Tasco Target Scope On It And Bipod. It Is Shooting Just Under 3/4 Of A Inch Groups With 10 Rounds At 100 Yards. My Load Is 24.0 Grains Of Ar2206 Adi Power (aussie Rifle Powder) With 69 Serria Hpbt's, With Winchester Small Primers And Shells.o.a.l 60.1mm & 57.4mm. Both O.a.l Lenghts Shot Just Under 3/4 Of A Inch. I Will Shoot Out To 300 Yards Soon And Let You All Know What The Results Are. My Over Load Is 24.1 Grains Of Ar 2206 Powder With The Same Primers,shells And Serria 69 Hpbt Projectile Seated At 60.1mm Shot Just Under 2 1/2 Inch At 300 Yards With 10 Rounds.has Any Body Got Good Reloads To Shot 400>600 Yard Distance.please Let Me Know. Ps I Am A Australian Shooter .

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well first I should say being a new member myself, welcome man. Sorry but I am not much help in this particular situation with a 223, however I am postive someone here has the right medicine for ya. Very detailed too I like that. And it will definately help out. Again welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Thanks For The Welcome Myarmor, I Hope You Are Right About Someone Out There Has Some Good Reloads For 400>600 Yards . What Do You Think About The Savage Bvss Modle 12 223 With The Accu Trigger? I Have Had Ruger Vt's In 223 1 In 12 Twists, 1 In 8 Twists, And 22 250 In 1 In 14. The Problem With Ruger's Is Their Long Throats. Seating Of The Projectile Just Off The Lands Is A Problem. Because The Bullet Is Just In The Neck Of The Shell. What Do You Reckon?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Some good points VBULL.
I really do like Ruger. But it seems that , as someone said here(and forgive me for not remembering), that they are either really accurate, or just accurate enough.( Perhaps it was Shaun. I so I could say it no other better way)
I haven't shot the Accu-trigger yet but I am a firm beliver in Savage. Some aren't. But they have the bite to back up their claims. All the ones that I have shot over the years have had that legendary "of of the box accuracy" that Savage is known for. And I respect a company that has went from bankrupcy to being named manufacture and rifle of the year with in 9-10 years.
I am very excited about the Accu-trigger, and I do believe it will help lift their name even higher. Read a lot about it as well. Soon enough I will have one.
But all your points are true. They do really have long throats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think they call it a rifle range. that's what we call it in aussie land. it's the only good place to test long distance shooting. the range i do most of my shooting has a 500 yard range and the next range has 300>1000 yard range.300>1000 range we call the big bore range.they mostly shoot with 308's and some 223's.i have shot my savage bvss model12 223 on the 300 and 400 with good results using my pet load of 24.1 grains of ar2206 with a 69 serria hpbt, o.a.l 60.1mm. scoring 110 at 300 and 98 at 400 yards. this was the first time in competion the f class. still waiting for some U.S.A LOADS FOR MY SAVAGE BVSS 223.BUY FOR NOW.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,204 Posts
Some folks don't have long rifle ranges. Ours is 120 yds max. There are one or two around, but not worth switching memberships for.

In Arizona, used to just go out to the desert. Didn't really take advantage of the long distance there though. I just shoot smaller, more challenging targets at the 120 yd line.

Welcome BTW :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
your right the ruger got a lot to be desired , savage and remington are the top of my lists in firearms , but if you pardon me lee enfields have better throats then some of the rugers, not all but some.and VBULL next time we go shooting together i might just give you a run for your money

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
300 Yards Here We Come. You Are Welcome. You Better Load Your Own This Time. We Would Not Like Them To Fall Short Would We. Then We Go To The Open Big Bore Range Where It Is Windy And More Open. See You Sunday.lets Hope It's Not Raining. Bye For Now .back To Incredi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi fellow shooters, i shot in a f class 500yard shoot on sunday and scored 100 out of 126 total. my scope is zero on 300 yards.so i just aimed 26 inches above v bull and adjusted for the wind. this sunday is 300 yards so i will be right on top of things, no guessing this time.my load is still 24.1 of ar2206 with 69 serria hpbt at 60.2 o.a.l. my scope has 1/8 clicks and is 36 power.so i will let you all know how i went.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Fellow Shooters,i Shot In The 300 Yard F Class On Sunday. I Was A Bit Disapointed With My Score Of 99.8.not As Good As My 500 Yard Score. The Wind Was The Major Factor, Left To Right ,then No Wind.but In My Second Round I Hit Plenty Of 5's And V Bulls.my Load Did Not Let Me Down ,i Did. It Take's A Big Man To Say That. I Have Yet To See Mr Savage 10fp There Shooting, And Still Waiting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts