Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family just picked up a savage No. 4 Mk. 1. It's in decent shape (for a gun of its age), but .303 brit doesn't fit in the chamber properly. Seeing as we aren't sure, could this gun be chambered in .303 Savage???
thx.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
it might be a .308

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
There are several possibilities, but my guess would be either .308 or, there are a few around that were chambered to 7.62x54R-there is a link on the JPFO website on that procedure. Another possibility is that there is something stuck in the chamber-like a case neck or something. Can you give us some more info as to what the problems is with .303 Brit. not chambering? BTW, if the bolt just won't close on a loaded round, you might want to have the headspace checked, Enfields have three different bolt heads for use in setting the headspace, yours may have the wrong bolt-head installed.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
It is very possible, before I did any firing though it I would very carefully examine all the stampings in the metal work of the rifle if it's marked .303 then it is most likely .303 savage. I would also seek the advice of a competant gunsmith to make absolutely sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bolt almost completely closes with a .303 brit in it, the lever just won't go down. (can't get it that little bit farther in). Bolt does close with chamber empty.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Pull the bolt and make sure the Brit rim fits into the bolt recess and slips under the extractor properly. You may have to make a chamber casting to see exactly what you've got. If it was converted by a professional 'smith, it should be marked. I'm thinking it may just need a shorter bolt head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
LOL!
Bolt head wasn't screwed in all the way, chamber closes with a brit round in it now. Now does anyone know how to tell what it's chambered in. (bit iffy about just firing brit through it)
All the markings corrospond with a savage (eg: no.4 mk. 1, U.S. Property), just don't know the caliber.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
It should be standard .303 Brit. If it shows no signs of prior 'smith work, I'd shoot it and compare the fired case to an unfired one and see if it shows signs of deformation\fireforming to a larger chamber. You can always do the tire trick for the first shot if you're nervous about shooting it.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I bought a 303 No 4 Mark 1 convertedto a No 5 throught Navy Arms. Have same problem with bolt too tight to lock on live round. Bolt head mark "0", will go to a "1" next to correct headspace. Cheers mdj696

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL!
Bolt head wasn't screwed in all the way, chamber closes with a brit round in it now. Now does anyone know how to tell what it's chambered in. (bit iffy about just firing brit through it)
All the markings corrospond with a savage (eg: no.4 mk. 1, U.S. Property), just don't know the caliber.

HA HA HA looks like you got caught exactly the same way I was and found the answer yourself also the same way I did. A trap for young players EH! (cept I ain't that young:34:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts