Savage Precision Action 6BR Build?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Ron AKA, May 19, 2008.

1. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

I started out to build an club competition target gun using a spare 700 Remington long action, and the .243 WSSM case. The objective was to have a good target gun, but at a modest cost. After more sober thought, this did not seem to be such a good idea. It seems like swiming upstream to make a target cartridge out of the .243 WSSM.

I next thought I would just buy a Savage factory gun in single shot 6BR. The Savage Arms 12F Class Precision Target Rifle Series has a 30 inch barrel and 1 in 8 twist and I'm interested in 100-300 yards, so that does not seem to make sense. They have a Savage Arms Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter gun with the same action in 6BR, but it still has a 26" barrel, and there is the question on barrel quality... However, the 1:12 twist seems about right for my purpose. Either gun here in Canada would likely price out at about $1,100.

So then after reading all the posts I could find here and in other forums, I started to think it would make more sense to build one. Not sure I really will beat the $1,100 pre-built for price though. Here is what I have come up with so far, along with a few questions:

1. Savage Action as shown here, but with the left port instead of the pictured right port.

[​IMG]

I have a Savage rimfire with the AccuTrigger and really like it. The rimfire pull is rated at 2.5-6 lbs, but with some modifications I have it down to 12 oz, perfectly reliable with no creep. I suspect with the centerfire Target AccuTrigger rated from the factory down to 6 oz., I should not have trouble getting it even lower still. Also the left port idea seems handy.

2. For a barrel I was considering a Bartlein when on the Remington 700 build idea, but with the Savage barrel nut system, it seems much more sensible to go with a drop in? Have looked at the Nor-Pac testimonials, the Lothar Walther, and Shilen. At this point I'm leaning towards a select match grade Shilen 23" in a Savage bull barrel contour in 1:12" twist. Thoughts on that choice? The reason for leaning towards a Shilen is the option of different neck sizes which Nor-Pac does not seem to offer. 0.268?

3. For fitting, I gather with a headspace guage and lug wrench, I should be able to self assemble the barrel and action? I've seen it suggested in a post here that if you don't care about factory loads not chambering, you can used a full length resized cartridge to headspace the barrel to get a better fit? Or, a fired case? Thoughts on those options?

4. On the stock, I've seen it suggested that the Sharp Shooters Supply ones are good for the Savage action? At the Rimfire Central form, users of their stuff speak highly of them. Probably would go with the benchrest style from them shown below. Any other suggestions to consider?

[​IMG]

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate your taking the time to read it, and make any suggestions. This is a first time build for me, and need all the help I can get from those here that obviously have a ton of experience.

Ron

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

It seems to me the 6mm PPC would be the best cartridge for what you want.Neck size is .265" compared to other cartridges at .276" and should fit your chamber at .268".A 1in14" twist will handle a 70gr hpbt so your 1in12" should handle up to 80gr hpbt.What I have seen tho,a tight chamber and .243 with a 1in9"twist and 100gr match bullets does about as good as to accuracy.Just a matter of getting close to the riflings and getting the right powder and charge.You would have to turn the necks but you will with the PPC anyway eventually.The Savage action I havn't seen too many of,a left port for right handers and right for left handers for loading,extraction convenience.I cant remember if they have an ejector but I wouldnt want one.If there is one I would remove it and plug the hole.I believe the extractor could be stronger for no expansion chambers but should work.I am not overly impressed with accu trigger but if you like it and can get it down in the ounces it should work. Let us know more of your thoughts. sam.

3. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Sam, thanks for the comments. My thoughts:

>It seems to me the 6mm PPC would be the best cartridge for what you want.

I agree especially at 100 yards the 6 PPC owns the show. They tend to be multi kilobuck custom guns and pretty hard to break into for a newbie. I'm thinking that at 200 and 300 the larger powder capacity 6BR may have a technical advantage, and perhaps even at 100 yards on the windy days. The history seems to be that the 6 PPC is a US developed cartridge and it has lead to domination on this side of the pond. The other side seem to favour the 6BR, so perhaps the technical advantage at least partly just historic. The other and most important reason is $$. As I understand it Savage just offers their action in the .223 Rem rim size (0.378"), and standard 308 (0.473"). I believe the bolt has to be 0.445 for the 6 PPC. I suspect that puts me into the multibuck custom action category.

>Neck size is .265" compared to other cartridges at .276" and should fit your chamber at .268".

The neck size is mystery country for me. Not sure what to make of it. It seems there should be some advantage of making it tight enough to allow some triming of the brass. From what I see tight necks are becoming less popular and some are now going with Lapua brass just as it comes without turning. Like I say I really don't have that figured out yet, and am interested in any and all thoughts.

>A 1in14" twist will handle a 70gr hpbt so your 1in12" should handle up to 80gr hpbt.What I have seen tho,a tight chamber and .243 with a 1in9"twist and 100gr match bullets does about as good as to accuracy.

Yep, that is a hard one too. The choice probably comes down to whether or not I want to focus on the longer ranges and include the ability to spin the 105-107 bullets, or not. At the short ranges as discussed above the 6PPC with the 68 grain bullets are likely very hard to hard to beat. I was hoping to come down the middle, as I really don't see me doing any 600 or 1000 yard stuff. That tends to be dominated by the 6.5-284/.308 guys in any case.

>The Savage action I havn't seen too many of,a left port for right handers and right for left handers for loading,extraction convenience.I cant remember if they have an ejector but I wouldnt want one.If there is one I would remove it and plug the hole.I believe the extractor could be stronger for no expansion chambers but should work.

Good thoughts. I will have to check that out further. The Savage action seems to be gaining some acceptance, but yeh the hard core guys go for the highly modified Remington 700's or the full custom ones. When you add up the costs... a bit of a problem. The big advantage of the Savage seems to be their jam nut method of attaching the barrel. It appears you can install and switch barrels without the expense of a gunsmith.

>I am not overly impressed with accu trigger but if you like it and can get it down in the ounces it should work.

When you take apart the rimfire version of it, there are quite a few roughly finished parts - castings and stampings that show no evidence of any hand finishing. I have to hand it to Savage though as it works surprisingly well for the quality of parts when you look under the covers. They must know what counts and what does not. I'm guessing they put a little more effort into the Target AccuTrigger version for centerfires. It is clearly not the same as the rimfire version. If they can send it out from the factory adjustable down to 6 oz., then it has to be much better. I'm not sure I really need it much less than that if at all. I do suspect it could be tuned lower though. The RFC guys asked me for a procedure on what I did to my rimfire AccuTrigger, and the details are here. A bit crude (Bic lighter spring..., HSS drill bit shanks for pivot pins...), and I would be a bit more careful on their precision target action.

Savage Rimfire AccuTrigger Tuning - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Again, Sam I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. There is no replacement for the "been there and done that" experience.

Ron

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the savage is a decent place to start without going full custom. my only consideration is the accutrigger, particularily the target version. when set at its lightest setting, it is common to have to close the bolt very gently or else it will fail to hold the cocking piece. IMO a better solution is to use one of sharpshooters supply triggers. Pacnor barrels have an excellent reputation.

5. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Lefty thanks for the comments. I know what you mean with the accutrigger. When I first adjusted mine down to 1 lb about every 2-3 times I closed the bolt the accutrigger mechanism locked up. However the breakthrough was increasing the sear spring by stretching it. Now I can get down to 4 oz, if I'm prepared to very carefully close the bolt. However, at 12 oz it is perfectly reliable. You can slam the bolt as hard as you want and no lock up.

It is hard to know exactly what Savage has done to allow factory adjustment of the Savage Arms Target Actions down to 6 oz.. Hopefully they have not just done the fine tuning I have done, and there is no room left to tune further... These models have just been released with the 6 oz. pull, so I'm hoping to find some reviews of them to hear how they really work.

On the Sharp Shooter Supply trigger, I found 6BR Savage Pac-Nor "Silk Purse" article on a similar build using the older Savage pre-AccuTrigger action. He installed one of the SSS triggers, but does not speak highly of it. See the part about midway through the article. I will have to check this issue out further.

Ron