close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Savage/stevens/springfield .22 ???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Jun 8, 2002.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i once had a single shot .22 bolt action, pulled on the cocking knob to cock the gun, no saftey, i beleive it was made in the 1940's, used to my my uncles gun. any idea what it was called or model number???

2. savageT

savageT G&G Newbie

Well, here goes my guess.......I once had a little youth Model 33 Remington single-shot with that pull back (cocking) bolt and no "safety". You pulled back on the bolt and rotated it clockwise to put it on pre-safety or pre-cock. Could be Savage had a similar single-shot as well.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Sounds like my little Stevens Model 15, that my Uncle gave me when I was 14. I still have it. It was an excellent "boys rifle".
    My recently acquired Mossberg Model 34 single-shot also has the pull and twist cocking knob that savageT mentions. The Stevens just pulled straight back. Both are still very good shooters.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  4. Hoosier

Hoosier G&G Newbie

My 1st rifle was a Savage single shot like you describe. I don't remember the model #. I bought mine new in either '64/'65 for
    $14 & change. It was an accurate rifle for squirrel, etc. I kept it
    for yrs, gave to a friend, who was getting a grandson started
    hunting.

5. savparts

savparts G&G Newbie

It may be a Model 3 which was around that time frame

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

thanks Buddy. this rifle was very much like the 15, but didn't have the heavy bolt handle knob like the 15.

7. savparts

savparts G&G Newbie

8. Big Dog

PapaG, here's a pic of my little Stevens Model 15, that my Uncle Larry gave me when I turned 14 (33 years ago!). I refinished it recently, as it had gotten crusty and rusty over the years. I took it to the range a couple weeks ago, and was amazed how well it still shot! It seemed to like the Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester Xsperts best. Those usually shoot the worst in my twentytwos.
    It bagged it's share of bushytails back in my younger days.

Attached Files:

9. savparts

savparts G&G Newbie

Big Dog Your Model looks good. Parts are still available if you run into a part need.
    Is the top of your receiver with groovies on each side?

10. Big Dog

It's still in great mechanical shape. There's not much to go wrong with such a simple design. This one is ungrooved, and a genuine Stevens. Several big chain stores later sold their versions of the Model 15, often with plastic stocks. Numrich sold complete rifles several years ago, but they were mostly the store-brand types.

I recently found a rifle on Auction Arms that was the same action as the Model 15, but a full-size stock and provision for a scope. The price was low, and I was tempted to bid for it, but my Indiana trip was too close. It was a "store-brand" rifle, and looked to be in very good shape.