Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok
i want a 223 striker and am getting nowhere.
but savage sells target actions.
this is not a stripped action.
it has never been put on anything.
what are the legalities of me buying one and putting a pistol grip on it?
it has a left handed bolt.
then i would have a new striker.

i think i would have to have them sign it out as a pistol .
that way it would be ok with the BATF

·
Registered
741 Posts
It would have to leave the Savage factory as a pistol action if you plan to install a barrel shorter than 16", or build a fiearm shorter than 26".

Or, you could do a Form 1 and pay the $200 tax to manufacture a short-barreled rifle. That would affect future transfer of the firearm.

BATFE site has all the information.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i think i would have to have them sign it out as a pistol .
that way it would be ok with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

leave the factory signed out as a pistol

i found this:
If it leaves the factory as an "action" then you can build it into a handgun without having to deal with AOW or SBR stuff. It does not need to be logged as a pistol at any point along the line to be legal, it just cannot be logged as a rifle or shotgun at any point. However, once I got an action from my dealer that I was going to build into a handgun, I would want him to log it as a pistol in his books so there would be no concerns. Once a pistol, always a pistol. You could make it into a rifle as long as it was originally was logged in as a pistol, then go back to being a pistol again without any infractions as long as it has the size and stock requirements when it is a rifle.

The key will be what Savage logged it out as (one would assume as an ACTION but you never know) and what each successive log book logs it in as. If they follow what is on the receipt, and the receipt shows "Action" you are good to go.

For example, Sako actions used to leave the factory designated as an action only (not sure if they still do) and could be built into handguns as long as nobody screwed up and logged it out as a rifle somewhere along the line. Remington and Ruger on the other hand didn't offer bare actions in the past. ( I am assuming they still do not) All Remington actions you found for sale were take offs from RIFLES, so you could not use them to make pistols without going through the AOW / SBR routine, other than of course the XP100 handguns.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
RFC357 is right in stating it must be transfered as a pistol.It,s goofey but we put a 22" barrel on a XP-100 and when I sold it the purchaser had to go through the handgun deal.If caught with it,even tho it was in the legal limits he could have been arrested for posession of an unregistered handgun or some such BS,it was still a handgun.But this was a .17-223 chamber and shot one hole groups at 100yds and the purchaser was a handgun man anyway.No big deal. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i need my dealer to log it out as a handgun.
as long as i have a
receipt
that says handgun.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
As far as I know that is the simple fix ro the problem.An FFL handled mine as I am lousy with the 20+mil.laws we have. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oki think that may be settled.
now i wonder if a p-grip just goes on there easily?
the same with a bbl.?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I dont know about the grip but the barrel is simple,with the jam-nut system savage has you could have multiple barrels for it with just a little more work to swap out than a contender.By the way I never mentioned it but strap wrenches work great when swapping barrels on a savage. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now if i can find a pistol stock for it

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Thanks for the idea about a strap wrench Sam! Billy, you could always find an old wood savage stock and cut it down. Maybe BRG would have some suggestions as well...

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats an idea that didnt occur to me....thanks!

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i found this on the specialty pistols site

QUOTE;I just spoke with Savage Arms and they confirmed that the Savage Actions (any and all) that are shipped from Savage as an "Action Only" are indeed designated as an Action Only and can legally be used to build up a Long Range Pistol.

With this solid confirmation from Savage we now have all the pieces of the puzzle locked into place so you can move forward without any hesitation as far as the legalities of this Current Model Striker programs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts