Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have been lookin for a used or new gun in the 300-400 dollar range. I think my best bet is a Savage 110e, 11, or Remington 788. All would be in 243. Which is the better gun? The main thing is accuracy and the weight of the rifle. i was aiming at 7.5 lbs for the total weight. Thanks for your in put. YH12. TTFN.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend the Savage\Stevens line. This is basically the old pre- Accu-Trigger 110 for an extremely good price. If you have to have the Accu-Trigger, the new versions are still good buys. You might also want to look at the Mossberg ATR 100. If you can go a bit over $400, I would wholeheartedly recommend the basic Weatherby Vanguard. These are quaranteed to shoot 1.5 MOA and almost all of them shoot well under.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
As fine a rifle as a 788 is, the newest one you`ll find is 25 years old. They still command pretty decent money ( rightly so, I love them ) Savage has the 11F in most calibres for $500 on their site. You`d probably score one for less. The Stevens as mentioned above, is a part of the Savage stable, and is a very nice rifle indeed. All of the above will be accurate given the right attention to detail.

Edit: do you mean the 798 I think it is? The new model remington have introduced ( stolen out from under charles daly) These are a Mauser 98 action in a variety of calibres made for Team Green in Serbia. They are pretty good, they have a fancy stock compared to the same thing sold in my country under the original manufacturers banner, Zastava. Rem seems to quote a hefty price tag for them on their site, If it was my money, and I was on a budget, I`d look real hard at a Stevens. You could get the trigger slicked if you liked later.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I would go with Savage, they are very accurate, and don't cost a fortune.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,675 Posts
I have a Stevens 200 inn 223. Great rifle, like toolman said, pre-acutrigger. Got mine for less than $400 out the door Simmons 6x18 40 scope included.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts