Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site. I am looking for input. I am looking at two rifles. .308 cal. Accuracy is MOST inportant! NIB Tikka T3 black on black vs. NIB Savage 12FV put into a Bell & Carlson Durramax in tan web. Basically the same money. I'll decide on glass later. My Last Savage was a 110FP .300WM pre-accutriger with Leopold 12X scope. I got honest 1" groups at 200 with that rifle. I know the Tikka has a nicer action and claims 1" at 100. I don't have to carry this rifle very far to my stand/blind. I want the peace of mind that I can still get nice groups at 300-400 if neccesary (I also hunt flat lands). Looking for input. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
from what i heard the savage can easily get about 1/2 MOA out of the box. And with the new accu-trigger i can see how that is possible. I tested the trigger on one before and LOVED it. Very clean pull. And once you get the accurelease back the trigger is very light. I have been saving up for a savage for awhile now and almost have the money to get mine. I'm deciding between .308 and .223. And i still don't know what model i want to get. Im looking at the 10GXP3 for the price, or another and buy a BSA Sweet .223 or the like for it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Both the Savage and Tikka (3)s are great rifles for the average shooter to get their hands on.

One advantage of the Savage is the Accutrigger.

One advantage of the Tikka 3 is the removable magazine.

I also like the number of model variations the Savage comes in.

In short...I don't suspect anyone would be sorry for buying either.

·
Registered
492 Posts
For accuracy, reliability, and something that will shoot 'till you can't shoot no more: SAVAGE. My 10FP HS-Prec has never failed me. Out of the Box I was shooting 1 MOA in the wind, with NON match ammo. They now make one for about $900 retail - 10FCP HS-Prec, has a detachable magazine, and the VERY comfortable HS Precision stock.

·
Registered
209 Posts
well, if all else fails do what all wish they can do. BUY BOTH :D

or if you can go to a gun store and see if they will let you fire it with snap caps in the gun, maybe just buy getting a hold of the rifle and dry firing it might make up your mind, you don't want a gun that doesn't feel well against your shoulder, or the rest of your body.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would go with the Tikka. I think the Tikka has much more quality put into it. From what i have heard the Tikka will last much longer.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In my opinion, hands down, the Tikka is a far better gun. I own both a Tikka and a Savage with the Accutrigger. I like them both, but the Tikka is better built (much tighter tolerances) than the Savage. I like the accutrigger on the Savage, but the Tikka's trigger break is crisp with very little creep. I achieved tighter groups with the Tikka. Also, they are made by a very trusted name in firearms, Sako out of Finland. Got to hand it to Savage though, not even five years ago could they of been in the same price range or class as Tikka, or Remington, or Ruger even for that matter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tikka rifles

I am new to this site. I am looking for input. I am looking at two rifles. .308 cal. Accuracy is MOST inportant! NIB Tikka T3 black on black vs. NIB Savage 12FV put into a Bell & Carlson Durramax in tan web. Basically the same money. I'll decide on glass later. My Last Savage was a 110FP .300WM pre-accutriger with Leopold 12X scope. I got honest 1" groups at 200 with that rifle. I know the Tikka has a nicer action and claims 1" at 100. I don't have to carry this rifle very far to my stand/blind. I want the peace of mind that I can still get nice groups at 300-400 if neccesary (I also hunt flat lands). Looking for input. Thanks!
I own 4 tikkas and they shoot great. Ihave only shot my .243 at long range at 300 yards i had a7/8 group and at 500 i had a 6 1/2 inch group the wind was getting me bad at 500 it was moving me 22 inches to the right. I need to try again on a calmer day.AT 100 yards they all shoot 1/2 to5/8 groups easily.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Gotta agree, go with the one that "feels" right.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
those tikka's are supposed to be wonderful firearms.
i have a savage that gets the aformentioned 1/2 moa.
mebbe i should get a tikka to keep it company?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Savage!

We've shot Savages since the 30's. Starting with the 99 in 300Sav. then I got a 110 in 243 in the 60's, 7MM, more 243's 223 etc. wouldn't shoot any other rifle.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
those tikka's are supposed to be wonderful firearms.
i have a savage that gets the aformentioned 1/2 moa.
mebbe i should get a tikka to keep it company?
I'd like to do the same for a varmint set-up for my wife but Tikka (Sako) doesn't offer a .223 in laminated.

Why? I have no freakin' idea. LOL

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i like the looks of the tactical!
sharp lookin weapon.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I love my Tikka, but I've never gotten any trigger time on a Savage with the accutrigger so I can't really compare them. One thing that I can say though, is that Tikka's adjustable trigger is superb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts