Savvy opinion solicited

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by winless, May 8, 2008.

1. winless

winless Guest

I've had my old WWII M1911 in my desk for years, but at 85 I've become too frail to be comfortable with it so I gave it to my son. Having had a handgun so many years, I now feel naked without one. I sort of envision something like a 38 special w/a 2" barrel. I live in damp FL and don't want to be married to constant oiling and attendant labors. I wonder if there are non-rust alloys that will spare the worry. I was reading about the Taurus 32 magnum in SS — sounded like my speed. Cost is a big factor for me, but I'm afraid to buy a used gun because I don't feel competent to judge one. I would appreciate some knowledgeable opinions.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G!
    I like the Taurus revolvers - they have always been a good value for the money. Rossi is good too, but I don't know if they have a .32 snubby.
    A stainless model would certainly be good for our Florida weather too.
    You might do a search on GunsAmerica - a website for gun vendors and sellers - not an auction site. Any good local FFL could do the receipt and transfer for you, and you may find a good deal on a used revolver.

3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

if you decide to use guns america look up the vendor that is selling the gun that caught your eye to see how long they have been in business etc.

4. winless there's many hand guns on the market, that are readily available in stainless steel that are very resistant to rust that would be perfect for you.
    So why don't you and your son get together one day soon and make a day of going around the Gun stores and haveing lunch together.
    Here's a Taurus 357 magnum that will also handle 38 special cartridges as well. Built out of stainless steel.

MODEL 605 .357 MAG. REVOLVER IN STAINLESS STEEL

Back

[​IMG]
    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance. Meaning there is simply no tolerance for parts that do not perform as if someone's life depends on them. Using the powerful .357 Magnum ammo - this quick-draw revolver has plenty of muscle to back it up. Features include fixed sights, crisp single-double action trigger and a transfer bar for added safety.

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

6. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

if the Taurus is a bit high priced for you, you can try the EAA Windicator, which is pretty much the same gun. I used to have one when I lived in an apartment with a swamp cooler, and it never rusted on me, even though I was lazy and never cleaned it :) also i kept it in my sock drawer next to my bed. Pretty good and reliable gun, the only complaint I had for it is that when I used .357 rounds they'd be hard to extract, but the .38 worked like a charm.

Welcome, and good luck.

7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Welcome to the site--lots of good folks here.

Taurus makes some good guns. If you had the $ and didn't mind a little bit of a heavier gun I'd also look at the Ruger SP-101 stainless in .357 Magnum.

I'd probably favor a .38 or .357 (shooting mostly .38 rounds) if you're going to buy either the Taurus or the Ruger for defensive work. I'd probably go for the Stainless rather than titanium/wonderalloys (although these are fine for corrosion resistance) for shootability. But do try them out and see what you like.

+1 to A. H. 's post. The major drawback to snubbies for me is they're accurate, but difficult to shoot well.

8. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

9. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the ruger 101 isa very good choice i think that the 357 is the way to go
    so many choices in ammo and a 4" bbl is good balance for a house gun.

10. look into charter arms, i know for a fact they have some decently priced .32 revolvers

11. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i was going to suggest the sp101 but the trigger pull is HEAVY !
    i didnt like shooting mine until i did some polishing and put lighter springs in it.

if i had diminished hand strength i would take that into consideration.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  12. If it's for keeping in your night stand, why limit yourself to a 2" barrel? Get a 4", it'll be easier to shoot and have less muzzle flash if you need it in the dark.

13. First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I can totally relate to you feeling naked without your gun, as I'm sure I and many others would also.

The Taurus that AH. posted above would be a good choice. As for the brand, that's your choice. But I do think a revolver would be the best route. In fact, if you even like Taurus, what about the Judge? You'd get the .45 you love and also have the option to use .410 shot shell and in a revolver. These here >>>
    Taurus International Manufacturing IncTaurus International Manufacturing Inc

If you don;t want Taurus, then I suggest you look into S&W maybe a J-Frame revolver or a Ruger SP101 or GP100. But I still think a revolver is the way to go.

Lastly, I hope your son knows what an honor and privilege it was/is for you to give that to him. I'm sure he does though. I hope he hands it down to one of his children as well. Good luck with your decision. There's a lot out there to choose from...