Gun and Game Forum banner

SC 1903A3 question

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Tha Dave 
#1 ·
I have noticed that this rifle has a hole on the left side of the receiver. Is this a gas release port or something else?

#7 ·
Attached below is my 03A3. I see a hole at the rear of the receiver on the right side. Is that the one you are talking about?
Yes

The hole on the left side near the front of the receiver is to vent gases in the event of a case head separation, or similar failures. (visible in Oxford's photo in post #3 )
Thank you. I just wanted to make sure it is supposed to be there.

#10 ·
That's a Hatcher hole. As m14man has pointed out. Gen. Julian Hatcher came up with the idea. In the event of a cartridge failing in the gun the gas would blow out that hole and relieve pressure. This was found on low number rifles and high number rifles. Some think they work, some think they kind of work, and some think they don't do anything at all in a major failure. I think that in the event of a major failure I would rather have the hole than not have it.

#14 ·
Is it a round hole or a oval? The Pedersen device had to eject its empties somehow and what you are looking at may be the ejection port cut into a 03
the Pederson slot on the 1903 MK I.

when the Pederson device was withdrawn from service it was decided to leave the ejection port as is, since it did not interfere with normal operation.

the 03a3 has no such slot for any reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.