Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger M77 Mark 22 7 mm mag and a Stevens winmag 300 model 200. They are both different guns, but serve the same purpose in my arsenal - long range shooting, or big game at some point. I only use one of them at a time - the other stays in the safe. The 7mm is definitely a better gun, so I am using that right now. I would like to buy a scope for it that could be used on the winmag 300, in case the 7mm gives up the ghost. Looking at the 1,000 yard mark for $500 or under. Is there one scope that will work well on both rifles?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,180 Posts
So, when I don’t have direct experience with something but still want
To help. Please don’t take 1k yard shots at critters. Save that for the targets.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I think there are a lot of scopes that will work for both 7mm Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum. You would need to sight in whenever you changeover, but that's SOP.
This is just my own preference, not necessarily your's, but each of my rifles wear their own scopes. Not that I have not switched some around but my intent is to have each one ready to go.

I like the Vortex and the Leupold brands. I've been going mostly Leupold lately because they are USA made. Vortex is now made in China.
Another one I am trying out is Riton, which are advertised as USA made and have a lifetime, unconditional guarantee. However, I have had it only a couple months and have not wrung it out yet. (That is a 5-25X that I'm intending for long range target shooting - but I have not found a good mount set-up yet. Admittedly, I've only been giving it some part-time attention since right now is competition season for our club)

I'll add further, sometimes you can find a great scope in the "used scopes" bin for a bargain price. It's worth a look.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Hmm, The first rifles had simple rounded-top receivers drilled and tapped for separate scope mounts. M77 Mark

Reactions: Slugfest

·
Registered
147 Posts
Could I have piccatilly rails mounted on each one of them?
Of course you meant to say 'Picatinny'—Right! 😆

(The only reason I mention this is because that accessory mount was developed for the United States Military by the fine people at Picatinny Arsenal in Wharton, NJ. Where, coincidentally, I used to spend a lot of time, and had numerous friends and acquaintances all over the Arsenal. (I went to many weddings and dinner parties there, as well.)

Not to be too nitpicking, either, but I do not agree that the 7mm-08 Rem. is a better cartridge than the ubiquitous 300 Win Mag. If I were to own only one rifle it would have to be either a 30-06 Springfield, or a 300 Win Mag. While the 7mm-08 has somewhat better ballistic coefficients, either of the latter two 30 caliber cartridges will handle a wider range of shooting tasks and hit harder than the 7mm-08 alone.

In my opinion you have TWO GREAT GUNS there, not just one. :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
From someone that shoots long range often, $500 isn't going to get you much of a scope.
There's a reason that scopes for long range work cost so much.
(1) They need quality lenses so you can see what you're shooting at.
(2) They need to have robust internal components, so they can correctly track when the turrets are turned often.
(3) They have to have enough internal travel adjustment, and reticles that can be used for ranging and hold over usage.
You also need a scope that can handle the recoil of a 7mm & 300 Magnum dishes out repeatedly.

There are some great hunting scopes in the $500 - $750 range, but they aren't designed to be long range scopes. You can get an entry level long range scope in the $800 - $1k range like a Sightron SIII or Bushnell DMR II, or you can get a decent scope in the $1500 - $2000 range like an Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2, Tract Toric HD, Delta Stryker HD, or Leupold Mark 5 HD.
To spend less money, you will need to buy something used if you want a good quality scope that will actually work and be dependable

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
From someone that shoots long range often, $500 isn't going to get you much of a scope.
There are some great hunting scopes in the $500 - $750 range, but they aren't designed to be long range scopes. You can get an entry level long range scope in the $800 - $1k range like a Sightron SIII or Bushnell DMR II, or you can get a decent scope in the $1500 - $2000 range like an Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2, Tract Toric HD, Delta Stryker HD, or Leupold Mark 5 HD.
To spend less money, you will need to buy something used if you want a good quality scope that will actually work and be dependable
What he said. Better to buy high quality used than a new budget scope, IMHO. Most of the good scopes now come with a "no questions asked, no receipt" warranty.

I would only add the Bushnell Forge to the mix. It is a very good scope for the money.....entry level of the real quality scopes. Up here they run close to $1k; not sure about U.S. prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A 6.5 grendel scope can be good for both scopes. You can find some of them on ballachy.com. I can recommend the Nikon Black FX1000. It is a good and not expensive rifle scope. Most of all I like it because it is durable. It is made out of aluminum, so I can guarantee that it will work for a lifetime. The optics are good, and the quality of the vision is incredibly clear and accurate. This is always showing the right estimated range to the aim. It has a small number of features, but all of them are working at their maximum.

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
71 Posts
I would look for one of the Older Redfield Wideview accutrac scopes with the range finder and target type Knobs . I have one on My 300 Mag that has been all over Alaska Hunting , and deer hunting in Oklahoma and it has always been on the money and got my meat for the table. They came in 2-7x and 3-9x I believe and possibly even higher Magnification which do cost More. For an Inexpensive scope That Has Excellent Glass, Look at The Mueller Line such as the Eradicator and several other choices. Of Course Burris, Vortex, The SSS scopes and Leupold are right up there as far as quality and able to handle Magnum recoil Unlike cheaper scopes that will fail like Tasco, Simmons, BSA, etc.
Good Luck with whatever you choose !
Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts