close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scope for a FAL?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GrassHoppa, May 11, 2002.

1. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Yeah I guess my question comes in the form of "what kind of scopes are availible for an FN FAL". If it's at all possible can you post some links to sites? I'm pretty newbie to finding all the accessories and such. Any prefrences over one kind of scope over another. The main use would be for "hunting" of some kind. Varmint or maybe bigger game some where down the road. Thanks.

2. The "official" FAL scope is the Sight Unit, Infantry Trilux, or S.U.I.T. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

But with the availability of aftermarket dustcovers, you can use any optic that you can fit on a weaver mount.

[​IMG]

3. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Holy mother. That's sweet. Thanks Phil! I'm definatly going to look into that. Geez, now where to get a hold of one. Canada is such an annoying place for firearms and stuff. Government thinks they're protecting everyone. Pfft. Fools. anyway, enough of that. Not much I can do.

4. GrassHoppa,

If you are in Canada, MarStar is your vendor. They usually have SUITs in stock and I believe that they just imported some of the surplus from Israel. The Izzy SUITs come with the 223 cam, so you'll have to get a 308 cam for it. TAPCO carries the 308 cam and may arrange for a trade-in on your 223 cam.

If you want the regular scope mount/dustcover, TAPCO carries those as well, but my favorite is the aluminum Williams Arms Co. mount. Unfortunately, WAC went belly up.

5. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Phil, you're the man. I'll give Marstar a call and see what they have. I really appreciate your messages. Invaluble information. Thanks again!

-Ryan

6. Tony Collins

Tony Collins G&G Newbie

FAL Mount and Scope

We have the Trilux Scope and the Mounts that FALPHIL has posted above. Call me at the number below and I can help you.

[​IMG]

7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

What's the magnification?

8. Tony Collins

Tony Collins G&G Newbie

The Trilux has a magnification of 4 and the field of view is 8 degrees.

9. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Guys, HIGHLY reccomend the Trilux SUIT scope. They will dry up in the near future and are a real bargain right now. I have one with a DS Arms base on my inch pattern FAL. Great performance, original feel, super rugged quality! The one part I'd replace if I had the chance, would be the plastic battery housing. I would find one of the "extra power" metal ones.

Jesse

10. elbStJoeMO

elbStJoeMO G&G Newbie

scope mount problem

Does anyony know if the dust cover is different on a the FAL and the L1A1? I bought a cheap dust cover scope mount at a show, it said FAL and I didn't think there was that much difference. But when I got home and tried it, the dust cover fit the L1A1, but the breech block hangs moving back.

11. Tony Collins

Tony Collins G&G Newbie

The dustcover is different on the L1A1. The two tabs hanging down are the only difference, you can simply file those tabs down and it will fit the METRIC version just fine.
    :nod:

12. elbStJoeMO

elbStJoeMO G&G Newbie

inch vs. metric dust cover?

Thanks for the info, but will the metric dust cover fit an inch L1A1 and let the bolt move? I did some measuring and the metric dust cover seems a bit lower.

13. Should be no problem. My mutt FAL has a sand-cut inch carrier with a Belgian metric dustcover.

14. elbStJoeMO

elbStJoeMO G&G Newbie

other way around

If the inch dust cover is taller it will work fine on a metric gun, I am trying to use a metric cover on an inch receiver. Maybe I just got a bum mount.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2002
  15. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

OK, I read this thread, got the SUIT, set it up on my Century Arms L1A1, and it rocks. Absolutely one of the best combos I've ever used.