Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mauser that I want to put and Iron elite scope mount on but I was wondering what would be a good scope to put on it that wouldn't break the bank. I would mostly be doing plinking and will do some hunting with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Not sure about your Q, but i cant tell you about how many people i see leaving the range dissappointed because they hit a bump on the way to the range and knocked the scope out of line. So many people have had problems, hopefully you wont have the same ones.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
There are a Multitude of scopes on the market and dozens of manufacturers so the Question is How much do you want to spend, Do you prefer a certain reticle, Are you going to shoot in low light, Is it going to have to take abuse ?
These are all factors that have to be considered when choosing a scope.
I personally prefer Leupold, Redfield,Weaver, and High end Tasco scopes,each chosen for the rifle and the conditions it will be used for.
A 3-9 x 40mm is a good all around size/magnification for general hunting and target use on 30 cal. rifles.
Rich

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will need to take some abuse but not much, reticle I am preaty open haven't found one that I prefer over others yet. I am looking in the 100-200 range.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Cabelas has the following...
Leupold-3-9 x40mm Rifleman w/duplex reticle 199.00 3 different models
Nikon 3-9x40mm Pro Staff w/ Nikoplex reticle 149.00

Both of these Brands have Lifetime Warranty so that is a plus!
I find a LOT of nice scopes in Pawn shops for Bargain prices so you may want to shop around. ! Stick with Good Name Brands !Good Luck!
Rich

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
They are OK for a cheap scope, but they arent warranteed Like the others.
If you could find a Redfield Wideview 3x9 in a pawnshop for less than 200 , thats the one I have used since 1988 on my .300 Win Mag and I love it and it is one tough scope for this tough Alaska hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts