Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a scope on a mini 14. I'm planning to use it for varmint hunting, mostly coyote.

·
Registered
997 Posts
This is my coyote mini 14 rig for Northern Minnesota. The scope is a Leupold
1x4 shotgun scope with the heavy reticle. Perfect for low light shots and the heavy brush I contend with. 4x is plenty of power for a longer shot but as your aware the mini 14 is just not very accurate. I pretty much limit mine to 75 yards.

Of all my different scope rifle setups, I really love this gun/scope. It just seems like a natural tube on it, nice and compact like the gun. I will never change it out, it just works so well in so many ways. But then again to each his own, you may not like it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That looks just like my Mini-30. I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9 on it, but also dont plan on using it past 100 yards. About as accurate as an iron sighted .30-30, but h*ll on hogs if you can sneak up on them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think i would spend the money for the scope paired with the trade in money on the mini and get a new gun. I had one and not for long, it wont shoot well over a hundred yards, even with a scope. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scopes for Mini-14

I see the question was posted in 2006 so this is late. The older 180 series mini was not very accurate, even the Ranch Rifle with a scope. Probably the fellow who hunts coyotes in MN with a 1x4 with the older thin barrel does quite well. If you get a newer mini with the serial number from 580-xxxxxx you will find a big difference in accuracy, so thus the scope should match the guns capability. I found my new 2009 580 series could shoot cheap (PMC) factory ammo about 1-1/2 to 2 inches at 100 with a 3 x 9 Nikon 40mm. With a Har-Bar harmonic bar stablizer on the barrel it now shoots 1 to 1-1/4" with PMC ammo (55 gr FMJ), and under 1 inch with some of my handloads (Sierra 52gr BTHP MatchKing). I have outshot some AR15 users at my range, and I am not that great of a shot. Had a trigger job done to bring it to 3 lbs, but it "doubled" so back up to 4 lbs, and it is fine. Probably the top end for this rifle would be a Nikon 4.5 x 14 with side parrallax correction down to 50 yards but I am not sure yet. Any others with ideas for the new breed of Mini's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
mini 14 scope

I see the question was posted in 2006 so this is late. The older 180 series mini was not very accurate, even the Ranch Rifle with a scope. Probably the fellow who hunts coyotes in MN with a 1x4 with the older thin barrel does quite well. If you get a newer mini with the serial number from 580-xxxxxx you will find a big difference in accuracy, so thus the scope should match the guns capability. I found my new 2009 580 series could shoot cheap (PMC) factory ammo about 1-1/2 to 2 inches at 100 with a 3 x 9 Nikon 40mm. With a Har-Bar harmonic bar stablizer on the barrel it now shoots 1 to 1-1/4" with PMC ammo (55 gr FMJ), and under 1 inch with some of my handloads (Sierra 52gr BTHP MatchKing). I have outshot some AR15 users at my range, and I am not that great of a shot. Had a trigger job done to bring it to 3 lbs, but it "doubled" so back up to 4 lbs, and it is fine. Probably the top end for this rifle would be a Nikon 4.5 x 14 with side parrallax correction down to 50 yards but I am not sure yet. Any others with ideas for the new breed of Mini's?
I was surfing around seeing what info I could find for a long range scope for my new Mini 14 and I came across your post. I have not had the chance to shoot mine yet, but as soon as I find a scope I will let you know how it does. I am looking at a Burris 4.5 - 14x 42mm. Since it has been a while since you posted your reply let me know how you Mini is working out for you. I saw a video on youtube with a guy hitting at 300 yards with no problems using the target model with the harmonic balancer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts