Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
If you want a quality scope that will hold up with rough treatment consider buying one made by Leupold. I don't know about target shooting needs...but for deer hunting I'm using a 3x9x40 on my Rem 700 BDL in 30-06.

I'm sure there's plenty of other brands that will do the job, too. Be sure the scope is mounted with proper rings, too.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Don`t ignore the second hand market.. But honestly for the price you`d pay a VX-I ( I `ll presume you`re in America ) I`d scratch up a few more clams and get a Leupold like Ox says.. Tasco world class are better than most ppl say they are too, for a cheap scope. But!!! If you buy a really good scope, you need not sell it ever, they`ll fit any rifle you buy, pretty much.

·
Registered
997 Posts
That NC Star 3-12x56 will probably do fine. The .270 is not really a target caliber though. You might have had more fun with a .223 ADL for cheap target ammo and inherent accuracy. But I'm the pot calling the kettle black since I limit myself primarily to .223 and 30-06 rifles. They're all accurate if you play around with them enough, although I've been fooling with a 25-06 Sendero for several years trying to fine tune it.

Most of my scopes are Leupold. The after purchase service is great. Your not going to buy one under $100 though unless it's used. What Leupold offers is upgrade and reticle changes. I've done both on several of my Leupold scopes such as installing very fine target crosshair and or target adjustment knobs.
They are changing the lifetime warranty somewhat I've noticed with their cheaper end model stuff now to original owner only?

I've seen some good Tasco target scopes on the range too and definitely they are around the $100.00 mark.

How did you get your avatar to post that size?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Id get a BSA. 100 will get you a decent powered one. I have a BSA platnum Myself its Mildot, lit reticule, and 8-32. Only cost me 180. Hold up to my 8mm too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback! I have been looking at some scopes on gunbroker.com, but I havent seen any Leupolds for anywhere near $100. Is there any place besides gunbroker that has a good used scope market?

edit: looks like ebay has quite a lot

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
It's a little over your budget, but I would recommend the Nikon Prostaff. They are excellent scopes and you can readily find them for $150.00. Swift makes a good budget scope as well. If you decide on a Bushnell, DO NOT settle on one of the super cheap models as most have a nasty habit called floating zero, the crosshairs will move after nearly every shot. The higher end scopes seem O.K. Weaver has a fixed-power line that is excellent quality for the money as well. Try www.grafs.com, www.natchezss.com, or www.swfa.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts