Scope issues

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mick, May 28, 2008.

1. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

A mate of mine has recently bought a Tikka T3 super varmint in .308 with a picatiny rail, he has mounted a Barska 8-32x44 target scope on it, the problem he has is he can only adjust it out to a range of 700 yards, when he want's to be able to shoot up to 1000 yards.
    I had the same problem with my weatherby with a tasco worldclass, however my scope rail is a 2 peice setup so I just shimmed the rear rail up about 1.5 mm (beer cans are a great and useful thing)
    Do any of you guys have a solution how he could get the same result, without being 'such a redneck about it'. His words not mine :)

Attached Files:

2. You may need a stronger scope. You need a lot of light, and a bigger opening. Barska is not a 1000 yd scope. Go way up in quality for that distance.

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    shimming is one good option. other otions are a tapered base. for the more common rifles, 20 MOA bases are commonly available, for a tikka im not sure. the third option is burris signature series rings with offset inserts. you really shouldnt shim 2 piece bases, at least not without lapping the rings, its much less redneck to shim a 1 piece base.

4. telkev

telkev G&G Newbie

Burris Signature rings+additional 20moa inserts to put in them. The Burris Signature rings have plastic inserts that keep your scope from being torqued, and they also offer the inserts with an offset so you can get more scope adjustment. Otherwise, you will need a different scope that has more verticle adjustment. Usually the higher quality or tactical scopes have more verticle adjustment.

5. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

those rings are all i use.

6. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT SHIMMING. IF IT WORKS WELL, WHO CARES. i have a rem 700 varmint spec. in .308 with a unertle vulture scope. i had the same problem so i actually shimmed the rear ring with 30 thousandth shim between scope and ring, using aluminum foil. i have zeros from 100 - 1000 yards and holds them well within 1 min angle.

scopes are designed to be zeroed in the center of the lense where its clearest. most high powered scopes will adjust from 100 to 1000 yards but need rear raised to get the full range of adjustments.

7. falren

falren G&G Newbie

Burris "Z" ring inserts work for me. They're 20 MOA so you can adjust out to 1000 yds. Last time I looked they cost around $13.

Most scopes will adjust out a few hundred yards without modifications. A Nikon 4.5X14X40 I owned can reach out to 600 yds. without problems but won't go to 1000 yds. A friend has a Swift that won't make 600 but will go to 300 yds without trouble. We stuck some z rings on his rifle.

Most of the newer scopes are a tube within a tube. The outer tube mounts on the gun. The inner tube holds the reticles. When you "adjust" your recticles you are actually moving the inner tube up/down, left/right. This means if you you have to adjust for windage you end up with less "up" as the inner tube is now positioned to the left or right of center. When you try to adjust elevation it runs out sooner than if it was exactly centered in the outer tube.

An easy check if your scope will handle the distance is to check it at 100 yds.
    Zero in your scope at 100 yds.
    Put a dot on a piece of paper and mark another dot (bullet impact point) above it.
    For instance, if you want to confirm all is well at 300 yds the drop is 5 inch or 20 clicks (1/4 MOA per click) up. Mark the dot 5 inchs higher than your aim point dot.
    When you shoot the hits will score by the high dot.
    600 yds is 16-16.5 inchs or 60-64 clicks up. Put a dot 16 inches higher than your aimpoint.
    200 yds is 2.5 inch drop or 10 clicks up.
    1000 yds is 36 inchs or 144 clicks up.

If you can't move the crosshairs up enough to hit the dots above your aim point then you have to install shims or z ring inserts. The inserts will go into just about any set of rings. I use Weaver Rings.

Note: The distances are approximate because a lot depends on your barrels twist rate, bullet weight, and velocity. From my experience a lighter bullet will have trouble maintaining supersonic out to 1000 yds. Once it slows the bullet might go anywhere but on the target as it may start to tumble. Bullet coefficient plays a role when it comes to long range accuracy (winds included).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008