scope mount problems

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by seabee1984, May 10, 2008.

1. seabee1984

seabee1984 Guest

:bigeyes:i got a scope mount from davids collectibles for my m44 the problem is is that after 20 rounds it moves and wiggles and this is after tightening any ideals to fix the problem or should i just get a new scope mount?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

ThreadLock...buy at any auto stores.

3. Remove the third screw (furthest to the rear) that touches the barrel. Readjust using the front and rear elevation screws that make contact in the sight mount. Should be a lot more stable.

In fact cut the back 2 inches off of the mount, and move the rings closer together. It helps.

i.e.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  4. Kismet

Kismet G&G Newbie

don't remember the seller, but for my cheap eBay mount, I took a look, and some one else's advice on the forum, and used the rear mount pivot pin to DRIVE through the aluminum mount, stripping through the threads, but making a tight mount. Have had it off several times and it goes back on nicely, without the wobble. The threads on my mount were so coarse that with the bolt through and the nut on...it would still wobble...OFF the rifle.

Good luck.

5. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

And if you don't mind my asking, how much is your set-up...mount and scope? Let me know also after you've put a few more rounds through it, if you still have the same problem. I have an M44 and am not sure I want to alter my weapon (other than the stock refinishing I already did) to change the bolt and drill the holes. What kind of scope is it and how about the eye relief?

6. seabee1984

seabee1984 Guest

scope info

Long Eye Relief scope 2-7x32 made by aim

7. I don't think it's by AIM... probably NC Star. An ok scope for the money (~$50). I like mine.

8. vcpilot79

vcpilot79 Guest

NC Star offers that scope for about 50 bucks and one just like it that is not illuminated for cheaper...here's a noob question, what is illumination? is it worth the extra cash?

9. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Illumination is making the crosshairs (the reticle) light up (usually red, but sometimes green) so that you can see the reticle in low light conditions when a black reticle would just disappear.

10. vcpilot79

vcpilot79 Guest

aahhh...good man...thank you

11. Mike82

Mike82 G&G Newbie

i have seriously got to get an M44 receiver that is not useable....this way me and my 2 friends can mill a mount to replace sight leaf, except make it outta steel....think they'd sell?

12. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

I think they'd sell!!! I'd buy one if the price was right!

13. take the original pin that held the old iron sights on, and drive it through the mount. u will turn the hole in ur mount from being thread to just a hole, but the result is a mount that will not move because the stock peice (best in my opinion) is holding it in place. i did this to my m44, and the mount is as steady as a rock, and the cheap nc star LER scope actually holds zero very well.

check it out:
    https://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/51333-cheap-scout-mount-fix.html

14. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

Smokin'

I cannot seem to click on the links you have to bring up the pictures you posted from a previous post. Anyone else have the same problem?

15. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The link works for me !!

16. Kismet

Kismet G&G Newbie

scout scope on M44, solid (now) mount, home-handled Ragnar's knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

18. Kismet

Kismet G&G Newbie

Thanks Steve...

I like to mess with knife blades. Stands to reason you'd like it, the brass bolster is a "smushed" 7.62x54r shell. :)

earlier image
    [​IMG]

19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Awhile back there was a thread about removing the rear sight altogether. Under it ther's supposed to be a dovetail that will accept Weaver rings nicely and lock down tight as a drum. Is this feature only on certain models, or on all Mosins?

f I had a proper shop like my Dad's was, I'd buy a beater 91/30 just so I could experiment with it and post the straight skinny for everyone's benefit.