close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scope Mount ???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Keep looking at the scope mount kits for the 91/30s the cut/drill bent handle conversons and weaver rail. Anyone ever try one of these? Is it worth the hassle?

Same goes for the M44 mounts that replace the rear site....useing a pistol scope.....just cant see a pistol scope doing justice to the Mosin's ability.

Thanks all.

2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

hi there doglips,i haven't tried one of the ATI mounts personally,but have heard several bad stories about the bolt handle screw either stripping or breaking off in the bolt.also,from what i understand,you can't use stripper clips with it.i hardlt ever use'em anyway but it's something to think about.Smith enterprises makes a version of the original mosin side mount but they are a little pricey.good luck w/it..

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Doglips, if you want to scope your Mosin, try one of the reproduction scope mounts. I just got done with my second 91/30 project. Bought the scope ($130), a bent bolt body, numbered to my rifle ($50), mount ($45), and had it installed by a friend of a friend for $50. It's a little expensive, but it's worth it. It looks original and it grouped really well for the zeroing session Brian did.
    I agree with Toolman. I, too, have heard bad reports on that mount.
    As far as the M44 scout-type mount, I have tried that and I would not recommend it.

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

After my adventurs in installing a no gunsmithing scope mount I think Ill leave the some gunsmithing mouts to others...besides the Mosins are only used for plinking so no big deal. Thanks all.

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

go ahead!!!do it!!! think of the adventure, pathos, drama, and comedy storys that can be shared!!!

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Think of the trips to the Emergency room (me with power tools)..the expense....wow only $500 to make a Mosin into a Sniper Rifle....the mounds of spare parts....drill bolt..break bolt....hammer handle break handle....let me get some bill stright and I might just do it....would make for a good jokeing post.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

don't forget to have the video camera rolling!!! might make for a funny tape to sell copies of and recoup the losses!!!!:rolleyes: :confused: :D

8. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Hey D.L. I've been checking into MN for oh a day and a half now and ran across many different 91/30 mounts.

I believe the trick is in the reciever side. There is a high side (only by a few mm) This is what the sniper rifles were made from.

The standard low sided receiver has to SVT mount adapted or a over the chamber mount.

All are easly found around the net.

Heck I even found plans to make your own mount!

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Armorer, the snipers were chosen from regular production lines. The sniper rifles were standard 91/30's-nothing special.The rifles chosen were eyeballed for straightness. There was no accuracy critieria, as the Russians had no time to test-fire them. The mounts were installed on round receivers only, and once installled, were either ground out or shimmed once the scope was in place to zero them.;)

10. Armorer

Armorer Guest

http://www.mosin-nagant.net/fake-snipers.html

Here is where I got my info. About 2/3 down the page it talks about high/low receivers.

Please remember I'm up to two days of checking out this rifle. You boys know a heck of a lot more.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I know about the high- and low-wall Mosins, and was not implying anything other than the fact that the sniper rifles' only requirement was that they had to be a round receiver.
    Keep on learning, Armorer. You just may end up like the rest of us who collect these devils- obsessed, devoted, close to divorce, working some OT to pay for the new Mosin you saw at the gun store that needs a good home, wondering if you can buy one with your equity line of credit from the bank without your wife finding out, etc. You get the jist here, right? How much more could you possibly ask for????? :) :nod: