Scope mounting for my M14 M1A?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ACfixer, May 28, 2008.

1. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    Hey good people, I am LOVING my Fed Ord M14... shoots beautifully and I am pleased as punch with it. Question: How do I mount a scope on it?

Thanks!

2. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

First if you are gonna shoot it a bit, and it sounds like you will, do not waste your time with either the cheap or moderatly priced aluminum mounts.
    I know some have had good luck wit them but others have not.
    Three names of whom to look at ARMS, Sadlak and SEI. Any of these are good to go.

Here's an old pic of one SEI mount on my NM M1A

Last edited: May 28, 2008

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i really like the sadlak mount, and the SEI is virtually identical. most of the others available have issues with shifting.

4. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    Thanks guys, any particular place to buy it for a fair price? I'm willing to pay for a good scope mount.

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    sadlak has a website you can buy directly from, it also has a great write up on scope mounts and fitting them. the mount is also available from brownells.

6. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    Found it, thanks Lefty! And yes, great info site. Since I have a Fed Ord M14 I'll go ahead and order the fitting kit for $5 first.

7. I'm a happy Sadlak user, scope mount, op-spring guide and gas piston. I went with the aluminum scope mount, I have about 300 rds on it and it has not moved.

8. I've got one of Fulton Armory's steel tactical mounts on my Fulton Peerless special and I'm delighted with it. I'm also using Arms QD mounts with my Leopold 4.5-14 x 40 Pr scope.
    [​IMG]

View attachment 11343

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  9. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer G&G Enthusiast

USA
    I like this one from SEI

[​IMG]

10. Looks like exactly the same model that Fulton's sell!

11. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    So.. I'm cruising through the local pawn shop/gun dealer and what do I find under the glass? You got it, a scope mount for an M14! He only wanted $25 for it so I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. It fits/works perfectly! Chinese made, kinda lame looking compared to the nice ones but it will give me a chance to try out a scope on it until I pick a nicer one. Fittingly, I had a cheezeball $59 Wal-Mart 3x9 Bushnell scope lying around... stay tuned, I'll take it out for a whirl tomorrow morning.

12. ACfixer, look into the A.R.M.S. Item #18, the M21/14, three point mount foundation. This is what I have for my Fed Ord. M14A.

13. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've gotta say, I like the 2nd gen. mount that Springfield has for the M1A! I bought it with the rifle, and it's never come loose. It's a sturdy base for any scope.

14. ... which one is that Scotty? Is it the one I specified?

15. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    Thanks Larry, I'll look into it. The one I got at the pawn shop for $25 worked well, but did want to work loose after several shots.... not to mention it's kinda ugly. I'll try a little blue loc-tite and see if that helps but I do want to get a better one.

16. The loc-tite will help, at least you have options.

17. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    So far so good guys, I am pleasantly surprised at how well this $25 scope mount is working!

18. Skibum

Skibum G&G Newbie

Do any mounts work well on Chinese M-14's?

19. ACfixer

L35-KAPV
    The one I bought in the pawn shop (which incidentally I found in a shooter's for sale rag for $5 less) should work fine as long as the holes line up. It's a crappy part to be sure, but so far it's doing the trick.

I'll try to get you a part number/link. You can't go wrong giving it a try for $25.

20. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer G&G Enthusiast

USA
    Any mount made to fit USGI M14s should fit Chinese Norinco & Poly Tech M14s without issue.
    SEI makes a few USGI M14 mounts.