close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scope or not to Scope that is the Question.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rock, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

On a rifle that will be used in combat is a scope needed? We all know that a scope helps when hunting and target shooting,but what about a battlefield? And if a scope is needed should it be a Red Dot? Or something ealse? What do you think?????

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

No Scopes are not good for quick sight pictures. I'd say holo-sights over red dots on carbines.

On battle rifles, IE: M1, M-14 etc, heck even the Mattel wonder toy.
    You will run out of sight before you run out of bullet range.

The army uses two snipers per Company, I believe, may even be Battalion level.

If you are going to be part of a sniper team, IE: One sniper, one spotter. One or both can be scoped. Some say a M203 is a better spotter rifle. The 40mm give you the di-di mow if you need it.

Oh a personal note, Two rifles with common ammo. M-14/700ADL, M1/A3O3, or any of many combos would be good.

In open terrain warfare, your snipers are going to be idle a lot of the time. Woodland and urban is where they come into play.

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I've always felt that a battle rifle should not be scoped. I think good,sturdy peep sights should be used,not sure about a red dot,never used one,don't like the idea of having to rely on batteries or electronics. Keep it simple,have a rifle that can be effective to at least 800 yds. and learn to shoot with open sights at that range. My .02

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Yep, no scope unless you are going to be one bad a s s Carlos Hathcock kinda guy and be a sniper (God rest his soul!)

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Amen, Joe!
    Scopes will fail at the worst possible time.

6. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I would have to agree with the majority, a scope, even a holosight can get knocked off it's zero. It will happen at the worst possible time. I don't think I would want to be re-zeroing my scope on somebody who was actively engaging me in combat!

7. No scope for the average grunt, most of your fire is suppressive without actually ever seeing the enemy, even when you do most of the time it is quick.