scope sighting problem

Discussion in 'Optics' started by ethanjordan, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ethanjordan

ethanjordan G&G Newbie

I have a VEPR 7.62x54r. I purchased a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 EBR-2C MOA, a Midwest Industries Gen 2 AKSMG2-R QD mount and Vortex Pro rings in both Extra high and high. The problem is bore sighting. I'm using a laser tool at about 30 yards. I can't get enough UP elevation to put the cross hairs on the laser dot. I initially mounted the Extra high rings and it was worse. Then mounted the high rings, that helped and the scope bell is about 1/32 above the rear iron sight. I did a lot of internet research and people mentioned shimming the scope. I wondered if it is possible to shim the rail where it mounts to the QD. Do I have the wrong combination of parts? As you can tell I have a lot to learn. Any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks

ChaZam likes this.
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

Mounting scopes on AK style rifles can be tricky. The scopes have to be mounted so high above the bore centerline that most don't have enough adjustment range to zero the scope.
    Can you remove the rear sight? If you can't,you may need to buy a scope with a 40mm objective lens in order to get enough bell clearance. You might have to change rings to ones like Burris Signature Zee rings. They have inserts that allow you to adjust the scope mounting from 0 moa to either 10 moa or 20 moa,so you can gain adjustment range in your scope.
    If your 50mm objective scope is that close to the rear sight,using rings like the Burris will not work because it will lower the front of the scope.

You really need to try sighting the rifle in at a minimum of 50 yards to see if you are close to having enough adjustment range. While I'm not a Vortex fan,that scope has 65 moa of adjustment,so it should be able to be sighted in at 50 or 100 yards.

ChaZam likes this.