Scope Strength

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Mar 15, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Ok, some scopes say they're rated for .22 at best, but not many others say their limits. I'd like to know how to tell if a scope is suitable (or which models are suitable) for:

1.) .223
    2.) 7.62x39mm
    3.) .308
    4.) .30-06
    5.) .300 Win Mag
    6.) .300 Rem Ultra Mag
    7.) .338 Win Mag
    8.) 12ga shotgun

I mounted a $30 Tasco scope on my HK-91 clone, and after getting 4" groups, I wonder if I've been using an insufficient scope. If so, would that scope still be usable on lesser powered guns, or is it ruined.

And this was a while back, when I wasn't as bright, but I stuck a low end Simmons scope on my Mossberg 500. Think I ruined it too, or may I in fact have been spared from my stupidity?

2. Calibres 1-3 may allow you to use a cheaper scope (IMO i still wouldn't) 4-8 calibres speak for themselves I think. Only high quality rugged scopes are going to withstand that kind of recoil shot after shot. Even the 30-06 can pack a good recoil on a lighter weapon. Buy the best scope you can afford for your situation, but you could be wasting good money by not waiting until you can afford a quality make. Leupolds are on my .300 win mag and will be on my .300 ultra mag when it gets here. Piece of mind in the field is well worth the price.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

How do you identify them?

So how do you identify a substantial scope?

4. I think you are doing exactly what you need to do to find a great scope.... asking fellow hunters what is working for them. Research, research, research is the key. I started with tasco and bushnell scopes because that was what I could afford and what had the most shelf space. A lot of hunters have great success with them, as did I. However, take one to the range and practice with it (no matter what brand it is). If it can keep a zero for a moderate number of rounds, it probably will be fine to hunt with. My choice for Leupold was decided by reading various forums like this and asking questions. A lot of opinions and brand names came back but 9 out of 10 said they trusted Leupold. That was enough to sell me. Even a cheap Leupold (yes you can get inexpensive ones), will probably serve you a well and better than top of the line Tasco for about the same price, give or take. Tasco, simmons, and bushnell spend a lot of money on ads to sell their products. The great scopes sell themselves on reputation.

5. Topstrap

Topstrap G&G Newbie

I agree with ChesterGolf, he really gave you some good info. I have Tasco on some of my longguns and a few of my Handguns. I agree they work well on the milder recoiling rifles but wouldn't stick them on a larger caliber rifle. I have a Tasco 24 power on a 700 BDL 22/250 and it's been absolutely perfect, plenty of magnification and never moves. I use a Leupold on my 300 Weatherby and it's held up well. I think the 300 would have beat the Tasco to death within the first hundred rounds. If you have a larger caliber gun then it'd be better to not put anything on it and save for the better scope rather than just putting something on to get by till you can afford the better one.

But.... on my handguns I have various Tasco reddots and they all work great. My SSK Ruger 44 SBH has a Tasco reddot on it and it's been on for over 4 years now with ZERO problems. Do use a really good mount on any gun you stick a scope or dot on. I use SSK almost exclusively since they are the strongest and best I've found. Other of my handguns had B&L, Burris, Leupold and Bushnell and they all work well. My 12 guage Marlin Slug gun that I shoot turkey shoots with in the fall has a Simmons 4X32 Pro Diamond on it and it's worked well for me.

You'll always find someone that has had problems with any scope and mount combination but usually you get what you pay for. The best way to find a good scope is exactly what you are doing, ask others for their opinion but..... I'd pay a bit more attention to the shooters that either shoot competition or have been hunting and shooting a LOT for a number of years. They have sorted thru the stuff that doesn't work and found what is good.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2002
  6. Re: the right scope.

The 2 fellows in the local gun shop (with about 70 years of shooting experience) swear at the Tasco scopes (call them Trashco) but sell the red dots (and believe in them). I end up spending the extra money and buy Weaver (new ones), Leupold, and every now and then, a Burris. All work well for me on any caliber of rifle. I also buy only scopes with adjustable objectives and can approximate range by when the animal/target is in focus. Saves $300 + for a range finder.