Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reading the very interesting thread about scoping here I decided to add a scope to my new K 31. I bought Latigo's scope mount from Brownells and I got a set of medium rise rings to mount the Pentax 4X12X40mm scope. The mount installation was simple with one screw. I added the rings and installed the scope. I got the medium rings because I was not sure about the bell clearing the leaf sight but as you can see there appears to be plenty of room so I am going to get a lower set of rings. I was curious as to what you guys think of where I have scope set in the rings. Should it be furthur back or does it look good where it is?

Michael

·
Registered
396 Posts
Michael, that's completely dependent on your eye relief. Is it comfortable?

Latigo

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can find a spot where it is comfortable to see properly through the scope but it is not a natural feeling. It could be that I am just so use to my Mosin Nagant 91/30 P/U scope set up which is the exact opposite of this set up with the scope being offset to the left. I think I am going to get the lower scope rings first and then see how it feels. I can get a decent cheek weld the way it is now mabye lowering the scope a bit might make it more natural. I don't know if I am going to get a chance to shoot it it before they close the range for the season but I at least want to get it feeling comfortable.

Michael

·
Registered
396 Posts
As low as you can possibly get it is better for sure. Eye relief should also be as far forward as will work for you.
What scope is that?

Latigo

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is a Pentax 4x12x40mm Gameseeker scope. I already had this scope. It is new in the box. I have never used any modern variable high power scopes before just the old low power fixed military types like the Russian P/U scope so I have to get use to that also.

Michael

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
You'll probably need to rotate the scope 90* to the right also, or your brass will be hitting that knob on the left side. And black rings....needs black rings.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not bother to paint the rings because I did not know if they were going to be the ones I was going to leave on the rifle. They are meduim rings and it looks like I might have enough clearance to install low rings so I am going to order up a set and see if the bell on the scope clears with them. If it does then the aluminum one will end up in the spares pile. I think you might be right about rotating the scope for the clearance.

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts

Front ring base should be right up against the stop on the front of the rail, otherwise there is a chance of it sliding under recoil.
Reposition the scope in the ring after that is done.
Scope may be moved rearward in the rings so that the front bell almost touches the front ring. It depends on the dimensions of each scope and the length of the tube between the front and rear bells and position of turrets.

Lateral adjustment turret should be on the right side, unless some company has come up with a left handed scope, vertical adjustment turret should be on top

Rear ring should be positioned as far from the front one as possible, without interfering with the bolt movement, ejection, or causing grief to any part of your hand during bolt manipulation.

Looks don't matter, function is everything.

Those rings look rather tall to me. My med. Warne 7.3 rings seem much shorter.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input Diopter. This is the first modern type scope I have ever mounted. I ordered the medium hight rings as a starting point because I had no idea where I was going to be with clearance. I am almost positive I can fit the low scope rings on and it should still clear. You advice on the ring mounting makes sense to me and when I get the new set of low rings I am going to set it up exactly as you have recomended. I'll post some pictures up agian when I get the new rings.

Michael

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
diopter gave you great advise on the ring spacing. Having the front ring against the mount lip is important with these smaller mounts as the K has a pretty good recoil. Your Pentax scope should give you good eye relief. This is a Weaver K4 with Warne med rings.
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/members/diopter.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Killsnapz

You might also want to try moving the scope forwards in the rings as far as possible to give you more eye relief. Try out the eye relief in all the positions you will fire from, bench, prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing before tightening down the ring screws.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Killsnapz

You might also want to try moving the scope forwards in the rings as far as possible to give you more eye relief. Try out the eye relief in all the positions you will fire from, bench, prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing before tightening down the ring screws.
Definetely. I am trying to figure out the best distance for eye relief on this particular scope. It is definetely alot different that the old mil-surp scopes I am use to. I found the same type of nice heavy rings in their low configuration that are already black. I should have them by the end of the week.

Michael

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok got my new low scope rings and installed them. Perfect fit. I have a little more than an 1/8 inch clearance now between the bell and the leaf sight. Now the scope alignment is much more natural then when the higher rings were on. I can shoulder the rifle and the correct eye relief is right there. Just a bit of fine adjustment. It is not really a cheek weld but more of a chin weld but it is still comfortable and natural feeling when the rifle is up agianst my shoulder. Now I just have to try and get to the range before it closes for the season to zero it. Here are some pictures. As always any input good or bad is always appreciated.

Michael

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Michael, you may try a cheek pad for the stock to help keep your eye alignment and eye relief. Plus it would be confortable for you to shoot. That setup looks real nice.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Paul. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I have a can of GP 11 I just have to make it to the range. I am definitely considering a cheek pad similar to the one that Latigo has.

Michael

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Range report yet? Got me a-hankerin' for glass on my K31 now.....

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry no range time yet. I am hoping pretty soon though cause I think I am going through mil-surp withdrawl!

Michael

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Let us know how it shoots, I'm wanting to mount a scope on dad's so he'll be more interested in shooting his. Mine however will stay as is, no scope.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mouser, are you thinking that a scope mount requires changing your rifle somehow? All it takes is the turn of an allen bolt to install or remove it.

My friend Guisan put this together.

I think maybe I'd better show you what our clamping mechanism is. No screws in the rifle at all. Few k31 owners want to put holes in their rifles.
The red arrow indicates the clamping area on the riht side of the receiver.

The mount hardly touches the receiver so no worries for any bluing damage.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What confuses me on the offset type of scopes is, don't you end up with an x y slope issue of lets say once you are tuned to hit your target at 100' doesn't that mean the site walks off past that point???
help me with this this confuses me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts