Scopes for my .308

Discussion in 'Optics' started by huntingfan, Aug 14, 2010.

Which scope or other

Poll closed Aug 22, 2010.
  1. Simmons Prosport 3-9x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Redfield Revolution 3-9x

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Bushnell/Banner Dusk and Dawn riflescope 3-9x

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. huntingfan

huntingfan G&G Newbie

I've looked at some scopes recently im not sure about yet and if you have any facts or opinions on the scope please tell. I will probobly sight in the scope at 100 yards or so for deer and varmints.

Simmons Prosport 3-9x, Redfield Revolution 3-9x,

Bushnell/Banner Dusk and Dawn 3-9x

Thanks

2. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

Because for deer hunting and assume distance you'll be shooting is not far, then a 3x9 power is OK, but I'd prefer up to a 12 power myself.

Anyway, of the three scopes you're interested in; suppose the Redfield Revolution scope should be the one most recommended to buy by others.

As for the Simmons Prosport, well I'd suggest you buy a ProHunter model, which is a better scope. I have a much higher power Banner dusk/dawn and its OK, but oddly enough, not one I'd recommend. Based on your brand/model choice, assume you are on a tight budget for a scope.

Suggest you consider the following:
    Check Natchez Shooters Supply for a discontinued model Prohunter 3-9X40mm scope. You can get one for as low as $45, which should be cheaper than a ProSport in same power. I have both prosport and prohunter models, prefer the prohunter. You can get a discontinued Prohunter 4-12X40 with a side focus (A.O) from Natchez for $80. BY THE WAY....SIMMONS HAS A 25% REBATE (OF BUYING PRICE) FOR BUYING ANY OF THEIR SCOPES in price range you are considering. SEE SIMMONS SITE FOR DETAILS.
    Here is a scope that is a real bargain pricewise and one I consider to be a much better scope than ones you listed. Its a heck of a buy and darn good optics. Once again available from Natchez and its a 2.8-10x44 Federal Intensity scope for $70. It is the same scope as the Weaver 40/44 that Natchez has for $180. You can find the Weaver for as low as about $135 elsewhere. Intensity and Weaver owned/made by same company (ATK).....Intensity brand is discontinued. I have a higher power Intensity with the same aspherical type lens in the 2.8-10X44 and its a very good scope. One of my fellow shooters at range I frequently shoot with was extremely impressed with its optics....he is a Leopold, Zeiss only kinda scope user and a very serious shooter. He now owns a couple of Intensitys. For $75 an Intensity 4-12x44 A.O. available at Natchez....and Weaver equivalent is $146.

You mentioned banner, suggest you step up to Bushnell Trophy models which is step up from the Banners. Natchez has various discontinued model Trophy scopes in 3X9 from $60 to $90. Optics Planet shows Banner 3x9s priced from $77 to about $114.

Chuckle.....Redfield Revolution sells for around $124 to $145, depending on where you buy it. Redfield is a fine OLD Name in scopes...resurrected by Leopold. Don't own one, but have viewed thru the Revolutions a few times at stores selling them. May be an OK scope....but I think you can get another brand scope equal to its optics or better for a lower price. I'm not caught up in its hype.

If you do check Natchez....add at least another $12 to price for shipping. Also, on opening screen of their website click on their E-Flyer catalog on right of screen to view its first 20 or so pages of scopes for ones I mentioned.

Good Luck on your choice of scope!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

3. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

I have a little different opinion than Huffmanite, although I do like magnification. My feeling is (using the old 4 power as the original base line scope), that you want more magnification, however in a variable scope, I have felt for some time that you will benefit more from the flexibility of the low end than you do from the extra bit at the top. I have used 4X, 3X9, 2x7 and used (not owned) a 4X12. I now use a 2.5 X 8 and find it wanting very little for a hunting scope. 8x is plenty for as far as most of us should ever be shooting, but it is great to be able to dial back (and open up) the sight picture in more cover and closer situations. At 2.5 I can see a lot, but still have a clean crosshair and site picture.

Obviously, for some western plains applications and from the bench approach might be wanting.

Tom

4. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Forgot to answer the poll question.......
    If I were buying a scope tomorrow, I would take a looong look at the new Redfield 3X9. They are well made, well priced....(just not fancy) and have the full backing of Leupold.
    Tom

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I voted for the Redfield as well. We have one in the shop and it is very nice.

6. I've had a Bushnell dusk to dawn on four of my rifles now; although, I have swapped one of them out for a Nikon Monarch, which cost twice as much as the gun:doh: but worth it.

On the economy side, I really like the Bushnells. Never had a problem with them on my muzzleloader, wife's .243, my .270 (the one that I swapped) or my Marlin 336. Quality at a good price.

7. bman940

bman940 G&G Newbie

Hey Fan, Picking the right scope can be over whelming especially if you go somewhere that does not have well trained sales staff and only wants to sell you a scope for your max $ limit. I have been a Nikon fan for a long time, probably 15 years now. They build a quality scope from their entry level to their top top of the line model. You definitely don't have to break the bank to buy a quality scope from them. I have at least a dozen of their scopes starting with the Prostaff on my Texas Hog Hunting rifle. Last year I put a Buckmasters 4.5-14x40SF with a BDC reticle on my sons Tikka T3 .308. He killed his first deer with it opening morning 5 min. after legal shooting time. This scope provides excellent low clairity for early morning late evening shots. The BDC reticle also makes those long shots a snap as well. Check out the Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology web-site to give you even more information on how the BDC will best work for you.
    While I was navigating to the Spot On site I noticed Nikon is giving a rebate on ALL their BDC reticle scopes, ALL of them!

Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program

8. bman, thanks for the link to the Spot On dill. I never knew about it. Now I've printed out a cheat sheet that I'm going to laminate for my Nikon Monarch with the BDC.

I had my BDC ranged out to 200 yards and with it's help, took a nice doe at 235 yards last year. The Nikon scopes really are nice. My father in law scoffs, he's a Leupold fan.

9. I'm going to suggest another brand to look into. I bought a Burris fullfield 2 for my 308 rifle.
    It's a 40 mm 3X10. Several people have looked through it and said it looked excellent and I think it does to.
    I got mine on special at www.swfa.com When I bought it, it was a special buy for around $179.00 bucks with a free pair of what seem to be a good quality binoculars.

I've had it 3 years and have'nt had to adjust it yet before deer season so mine is holding it's zero.

This scope I bought was'nt an expensive scope but I feel I got more than my moneys worth buying it.

Check out the link I posted maybe you can find a scope to your likeing at a nice price...As hunting season nears, If you can wait that long you will be able maybe to buy a better scope or one within the price range you set to spend, you can get a better one on sale some where.

Best of luck...A.H

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  10. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

For my money, the Redfield is hard to beat for the price.

11. bman940

bman940 G&G Newbie

Tapped, I am glad you are a fan! The Spot On site on Nikonhunting.com will give you all the informatin you need to make each shot count. If you are in the market for another BDC scope, I believe Nikon has a rebate offer going on till the end of Oct. on ANY BDC scope. I look forward to hearing more good things from you in the future.
    bman940
    Nikon Pro Staff

12. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

for my 7600 in 308 which is my mian deer rifle i have a simmons 8 point 3x9x40 and love it.
    now on my new savage 111 300 winmag i have the bushnell trophy 4x12x40 and so far with just range time i really like it to.
    other than another simmons 8 point
    thats all the exprenice i have with either brand.
    but i think my next scope will be a redfield

13. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Looking for a scope? Redfield. Bushnell next. The new Simmons are nothing but problems from what I hear.