Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking for a non-drastic scope mount to install on my new Mauser, I came accross Advanced Technology's one that goes over the receiver. Now it says that you have to use a bent bolt handle, but it looks to me as though that wouldn't matter if the scope cleared the bolt.

Yes, no?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suppose you could hack off the part above the action, mount a riser to it, put the scope ahead of the action, and still feed through strippers?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,500 Posts
Don't bother hacking it up, just get the "scout" mount that attaches to the rearsight base, if you want a LER scope mount.
The ATI mount would be too far back.
The ATI does require a bent bolt, and even the M48's bolt isn't bent enough to clear the scope without having to use extremely high rings. Been there, done that - didn't like it!

Basically. if you dont want to alter the rifle, use the scout mount.
If you don't mind modding the rifle, have it drilled&tapped for proper bases and have the bolthandle bent. It's much more secure and not that expensive.

Just some personal views from the "school of experience". ;)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may end up having the bolt bent just by personal preference (I prefer moving it up instead of left), but the more I think about it, the less different the price on the scout mount seems, especially since using the other mount might involve buying yet more accessories.

But still, the scoping setup would cost as much as the gun. So I'll hang loose on that and focus on restoring the thing. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts