Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Ruger Ranch Rifle, all I can say is wow, how sweet to not get all caught up in the long range sniper style is better crap. This thing plinks on and on and on. :uzi: Was thinking on scoping it since they included rings and as wondering what any of you have actually tried and what works well. Input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just wanted to reply to your post since no one has yet.. lol

I couldn't tell you if it's worth scoping the mini, but, I'm sure anyone would agree it is definetely going to improve no matter what, unlike the SKS, I hate seeing auctions for SKS rifles that people wasted like $200 scoping it and realized, it shoots just as good with open sights, and sell it because they think it's crap.. People, I suggest hanging on the SKS, it'll be your buddy if you need to use it for anything other then target shooting.

The mini is atleast made for it, and Law Enforcement models I've seen have scopes, so I say go for it =] Good luck man

btw: I'm considering buying a mini 14 or 30, not sure which yet (I like .223 accuracy, and I especially like that I have yet to see a shortage, unlike the 7.62x39, I'm glad Cabelas and other companies are finally offering the stuff, My local gun store said they still are waiting 3 weeks for their shipment, Looking at storing 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 HP, Wolf),

Any Mini-14/30 owners please write in the pros, cons =]

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
As we get Older, our eyesight changes and some of us Geezers have focusing problems with open and peep sights , So I personally scope a lot of my weapons because I Can see where to put my bullet ! For the Mini, you may want to check out the new Holgraphic sight systems for quick point and shoot option. There are other posts on this subject on this forum.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My mini-14 had a scope but, like the sks, accuracy didn't improve much. I like my sks better because if I scratch it, I dont care. The mini's are good rifles though but in my experience, not very accurate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mooseman684 said:
As we get Older, our eyesight changes and some of us Geezers have focusing problems with open and peep sights , So I personally scope a lot of my weapons because I Can see where to put my bullet ! For the Mini, you may want to check out the new Holgraphic sight systems for quick point and shoot option. There are other posts on this subject on this forum.
Aww sad but true mooseman. I went in to see a red dot scope for the mini I bought. The kid says look here at the red dot. I hold it to my eye and say, I see a red line and say you mean the red line? He says no it is a red dot. I pull my glasses down and now I see the red dot. Any way the Millet Red Dot is awesome. It makes shooting a lot easier.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Part of me wants to get a Mini, screw the potential for a scope, find ONE good reliable 10rd mag, and develop a stripper clip loading apparatus.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Ooh, now that I think about it, it has been found that shortening the barrel to 16" increses accuracy. As light as the barrel is, shortening it thus greatly reduces its capacity to vibrate. One could then install the front site closer in, but scoping would be slightly easier, and the improved accuracy may warrant a scope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts