close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scored a six digit SA at the South Store...

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by TheJoker, May 2, 2014.

1. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I made my annual visit to the CMP South Store this morning. Although I did okay, the pickings were pretty slim. No Service Grade M1s, a dozen Field Grade HRAs, 8 Field Grade SAs(...7 when I left), a dozen HRA CMP Specials, a dozen .308 HRA CMP Specials, a dozen SA CMP Specials and lots and lots and lots of drill rifles. They're putting those nice walnut stocks on welded drill rifles and calling them a "presentation drill rifle". There were a hand full of NMs and an assortment of M1cs & M1ds. I didn't look too close at them.

It is sad...used to be you could spend all day picking a rifle or two. I was in and out in an hour and a half.

Picked out a six digit(June 1942) SA Field Grade and a gorgeous HRA CMP Special for shipping back home. I took 200 loose HXP and a rusty ammo box with me.

As always the staff was courteous and helpful.

jerry and neophyte like this.
  2. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Were those drill rifles 1903a3's. If so the receiver can be salvaged wth a little work and patience- See my thread "Another 1903A3 build" in the 1903 forum. JR

3. TheJoker

The drill rifles were M1s. The barrel at the breach is welded to the receiver. I found a nice International Harvester amongst the drill rifles. The barrel was cut length wise beneath the stock and the weld at the breach. The weld seemed deep enough to have ruined the receiver.

4. jwrauch

What a shame !! Sounds like you had a proffitable trip though. JR

5. TheJoker

Went to FedEx and picked up my rifles tonight. The H&R is just flat gorgeous. I opted for the all original, lightly used H&R in the new walnut stock. I guess what the call the "M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA Special". For the money, they don't make a nicer M1. It is well worth the $950.

I'll post pictures of that one later; but, check out what I found in the Field Grade rack...

I'm embarrassed to admit, I was looking for a Field Grade rifle for a Shuff box fed conversion. I found a FG SA with a six-digit serial number for $525. After receiving and looking it over, I don't have the heart to have it altered.

The receiver dates to May of 1942. It has a SA 5-50 barrel(TE 3 / MW 4). It is in a nice dark walnut stock that has no cartouches or proof marks; but, is nice despite the occasional small gouge or rack mark. I'm not sure whether the metal finish is original or that dark repark job done by the Greeks. The parts are mostly SA with the exception of a WRA milled trigger guard.

Anyway, no delusions that it is not anything but the usual mix master; but, still I'm leaning toward leaving it alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post another round of pictures after I get her cleaned up and properly accessorized.

How'd I do? Can you imagine the history this ole gal has seen??

SUBMOA and neophyte like this.
  6. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I sent one earlier than yours to Shuffs for a BM59 build. Would have been different if it was a original rifle
    [​IMG]

neophyte and TheJoker like this.
  7. TheJoker

True, Orlando.

I already have a nice laminate stock which I intended to use for the build. I still haven't ruled it out.

I'll shoot this one as is and we'll see if I become even more attached to it.

We'll see.

8. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

PING! It sounds like another good score!

9. TheJoker

A bit of a disappointing first session with my Springfield. I ran 3 enboc clips of HXP, all three times the clip ejected after 6 rounds. The good news ... It consistently made nice small groups.

10. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Easy fix, make sure to use good USGI enblocs, if still ejects prematurly change clip latch spring. These two things cure the issue 95% of the time. If issue still persists bullet guide lobe may be worn out of spec or guide may be bent.

TheJoker likes this.
  11. TheJoker

Maybe a Wolf spring kit is in order. At least a good place to start.

12. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I recommend Orion 7 spring kits. JMO

13. TheJoker

That's what I ended up ordering. Wolf's kit didn't include the clip latch spring.

14. TheJoker

My spring kit came last night. The old clip latch spring is definitely suspect. It is a quarter inch shorter than the new one. The old main spring is also very worn. Most of the rest of her 'innerds' seem well worn; but, in spec.

I took the ole gal apart, cleaned her up, installed the new springs and reassembled her into her spiffy new laminate stock. The trigger guard won't close all the way. It seems I might need to remove some material from the area where the back of the trigger group seats into the stock.

That'll make a good project for the upcoming rainy weekend.

She sure is going to look Purdy in this new stock. It is that Winter Gray laminate.

Pictures to follow.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

15. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

How much did the conversion run? I've always thought it would be cool to have a proto-M14

16. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    STOP!!!! Do not remove any wood from the stock. The trigger gurad on a properly fitting stock should be very hard to close.
    First grease the trigger guard lugs
    Run the rear sight aperture all the way down
    Flip the rifle over on a carpeted floor or padded table
    Lean hard on the guard

17. TheJoker

Thanks for the warning. I tried what you suggested; but, I was bending the trigger guard.

I took the Boyds stock of of my other SA M1 and after a bit of comparison, it seems that the new stock wasn't allowing the floor plate to seat properly. I sanded the area at the back where the floor plate goes just a bit at a time until the trigger group locked in place. It didn't take much and it is still a very tight fit. This new Dupage laminate stock seems a bit over sized compared to the Boyds stock. But, it sure is pretty.

So, now for some pictures...here is the difference in the clip latch spring:
    [​IMG]
    The old main spring was really, really worn. So the Orion 7 complete spring kit was a good call.

So here is the end result:
    [​IMG]
    I added a repro M1907 sling marked MILSCO 1942.
    [​IMG]
    And most importantly, it gets the Atum-Ra of Grace on High "meow of approval":
    [​IMG]
    I still think I might have the box magazine conversion done. It would sure look nice reparked in zink.

I'll get it out this weekend for a test firing. I hope the clip latch spring solves the premature ejection problem.

Thanks for all the advice!

jwrauch likes this.
  18. jwrauch

Beautiful rifle !! JR

19. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    JFYI ,Dupage stocks are from Boyds

TheJoker likes this.
  20. TheJoker

Great news. I took the M1 out to my friend's farm today and fired 16 rounds with nary an issue. It seems the spring kit did the trick. And like last time, the rifle made nice little groups.