Secure gun rack?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Sep 10, 2002.

1. OK, here's where I need some input and, perhaps, it can generate some conversation without controversy and arguing, :).

I have increased my collection of older military weapons to the point where I can't see buying a couple of $1000 safes to hold $55-$125 rifles.

On the other hand, I want something that burglars will have a more difficult time with than just picking up the guns and scooting.

I am toying with the idea of designing a couple of wall mounted gun racks that will require some unique tools most burglras don't carry and would also require a significant amount of time to deal with trying to get the guns free from the rack.

So, has anyone got ideas and/or sketches and pics to share?

For example, I have drawn up an interesting looking rack using horse shoes attached to metal and attached to wood that has a system of running an 'attractive' (if that seems possible) tempered steel cable through the trigger guards and connected to eye bolts that are welded to the metal.

The rack, in it's entirity, would be attached to the wall studs and counter sunk with glued in wooden pegs to make access to the bolt heads less accessable.

Get my drift?

Once again, any ideas?

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Metal Gun Cabinet construction idea.

Dale:

Have you considered welding together a simple gun storage cabinet out of 16 gage sheet steel.

--Carrying handles could be attached to each side.

--Welded flanges installed inside the cabinet would allow the cabinet to be bolted to the stud walls of your room.

--Installation of wheels underneath the cabinet for easy movement would be questionable. Too easy for burglars to wheel it out the front door.

--A built in combination lock would prevent burglars from opening with bolt cutters.

--The exterior could be painted, covered with wood designs, or finished with stenciled designs.

--The interior should have something installed to thread through the trigger guards as a back-up security system.

--I haven't built a cabinet like described above but as a former user of welding equipment the cabinet would be easy to weld. I'd prefer to have it welded with a MIG welder at a lower amperage setting because it should result in less metal distortion.

--Otherwise I'd stick weld it together using AWS 6013 welding rod. Brazing would probably cause too much metal distortion.

Oxford:nod:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2002

3. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

Dale,

Go to a metal salvage yard and ask about metal electrical control boxes. Industrial control panel boxes come large enough to serve as light duty storage safes by just adding locks. Most of them have rubber sealed doors and are made to be wall mounted. If anyone is tearing down an old factory in the area you might get them from the construction foreman for a couple 12 packs. It's worth a look.

4. Oxford and Dave,

I appreciate your suggestions but I want to stick with some sort of rack on the wall.

I am running outta room in this house and another safe.....well, not sure where I'd put it.

I could in the barn/shed but its so remote and I would feel compelled to go out and check it every day, if not more often.

The wall mounted rack is the way I want to go.

But, if push comes to shove I gotta keep in mind Dave's idea of an old and discarded electrical panel box.

Thanks guys........

Any other ideas?

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Dale:

What I suggested could be wall mounted off the floor. It might take a good floor jack to hold it up while drilling through the back and securing it into wall studs but this would get it off the floor. It all might depend upon how high your ceilings were, too.

Oxford:nod:

6. Oxford,

Your ideas gave me an idea...thanks.....

I'm going back to the drawing board and I'll fill you in in a bit.

BTW....c'mon guys.....with suggestions (even if you think they are minor) could lead to the ultimate in secure home gun racks.

THANKS!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2002
  7. WX PROOF BOXES

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL TELEPHONE COMPANY ABOUT DISGARDED POLE MOUNTED EQUIPMENT BOXES. THEY ARE MADE OF HEAVY GUAGE METAL AND ARE WX PROOF. SOME HAVE LOCKING THAT REQUIRE SPECAL TOOLS TO OPEN I.E. THEY ARE OUT WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND KEEP ALL BUT THE MOST DETERMINED FROM OPENING THEM. BEING POLE MOUNTED THEY WILL FIT ON A WALL JUST AS WELL.

DANA

8. Doglips

Doglips Guest

This is a discription and pic of a thing called Gun Cuff...I seen their rifle version somewear....looks sorta like the pistol one but sideways..rifles standing up..triger guards pointing out if I rember...may give you some idears.

Gun Cuff Handgun Rack secures 3 pistols...
    SAVE NOW!

Lock 'em up for safety. Introducing the Gun Cuff. Solid steel Rack provides tight security for three handguns. Now you'll have peace-of-mind that no thieves or curious kids are messing with your coveted firearms.
    Features:

1/4" thick solid steel construction
    Heavy rubber coating protects your guns from scratches
    Easily bolts to your wall studs (mounting hardware included)
    Base is 17 x 3"
    Lock bar is 19 x 1 3/4"
    Full instructions provided
    Weighs 5 1/4 lbs. Padlock not included.

9. Doglips

Doglips Guest

The pic

:p

Attached Files:

10. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Attached Files:

11. wes

wes Guest

Dale,your in AZ. Build something out of Lexan,(bulletproof) and put a couple of Rattlesnakes in with 'em. Don't know how you will get to your guns though.

12. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Doglips:
    Where I can get one of those gun cuffs? or maybe more than one

13. Doglips

Doglips Guest

I posted the link...but lets try it again....Idont know ANYTHING about this company or gun cuffs....just rembered seeing the pic at Cheaper than dirt web site......typed gun cuffs into Yahoo search and got this link and the pic. They could be made out of balsa wood or super duper steel for all I know...just thought the design could give some idears.
    http://www.firearmsecurityracks.com/rifles.htm

14. Dale how about those 130 dollar gun safes at academy. Put it in a closet and bolt it to the wall and floor.

15. Mandy

Thank you Doglips,
    For $68.95 including shipping you can have a finished product designed especfically for this purpose.
    I think I'll give it a try and I'll post later on how this system works.
    Thanks again 'cause mine are chained to the wall and that's a mess.
    Supposing that the construction quality of this product doesn't meet my expectations, then I can add a HD cable throught the triger guards and keep the guns well organized.

16. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Dale how about substituting the cabel for hardened steel chain coated with plastic, also a coverplate to fit over the rifles to make it even harder to access. my wife questioned why i needed to spend 1800 dollars for a safe, do i have anything worth that much, my response was its not the value of the guns, its the fact that i want to make it hard for unauthorized hands to get them. my old gun cabnit consisted of an old sheet mettal clothes clost with a bicycle lock thru the door handles!!! any one who knew what was there would have no problem busting in. she saw the light and encourged the buying of the safe.

17. Mandy

Guys, I just received the gun cuff long gun rack and I'm happy to report that it met my expectations on the quality of the product.

The rack is covered with some sort of plastic (they call it plastisol) so the guns won't get scratched.

Assembly is very simple and best of all, this is a serious company with great customer service.
    They made an error writing the delivery address and the product was sended back to them, they promptly contacted me to let me know and sended again at their expense.

I'll reinforce the system with a cable 'cause the stock of the G3 can be disassembled easily but if you don't have that situation, it can do as it comes.

No system is bullet proof but for the price, I say it's a good investment and a good way of keeping your guns away from those curious little hands in every house.

I'll ask a wood worker friend of mine to build a nice wood cabinet, complete with some drawers to make it look better.

I probably will buy the handgun version of the gun cuff.

When I'm done installing it I'll show some pictures of the finish product.

18. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Mandy: Sounds like you found what you wanted. Congratulations!

This morning I've been preparing to put the spray finish (polyurethane) on my gun cabinet and gun case which I've been working on off and on(mostly off) for about five months. It's all out of wood except for the 1/4" plexiglass gun case door windows.

I've concluded that my locking system will keep honest people honest and will keep kids out. Beyond that I don't believe there's anything that will prevent a serious burglar from breaking in.

I'd like to post a picture of it but I'm not that computer literate. Hope to see yours when it's posted.

Oxford :nod:

19. Mandy, can you PM me or post info on this rack...I might well be interested....thanks guy!

20. Mandy

Oxford:
    Definitely this is what I was looking for, I allways disassemble the guns and store the guts in a safe but I didn't liked the idea of leaving the rest of the gun just lying in the closet or under the bed so I chained the guns to the wall so no kid can have access to the guns even if they didn't work (no guts in the gun).

This gun rack may not stop a determined burglar but it's not just pick up and leave.
    To have access to the guns you must hacksaw for a while or do some cutting with a grinder, the locking bar is made out of 1"x1/4" steel covered with this plastisol material and it's not easy to bend due to the design of the rack.

The cabinet that I intend to build is for looks and probably will make it more dificult to tamper with the rack.

Dale:
    You may want to check posts #8, #9, #10, #13, #15.
    Post #10, #13 has the link but here it is:
    http://www.firearmsecurityracks.com
    Post #15 has the price $68.95
    You just log in the website browse around and you can order it from the site.
    Good luck and let me know if you like the product.

I've no complaints with this company, customer service and comunication is very important to me.