Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wyoming House restored a critical provision to a self-defense bill Thursday, specifying that citizens have no duty to retreat before using deadly force.

More...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
good! another law in our favor.I'm pretty confident that things are slowly going are way all we have to do is keep pressing the issue and maintain our high level of responsiblity and continue to remind other gun owners that all negative incidents with fire arms makes all of us look bad.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,373 Posts
mym1a, it's not a law yet.

It's still just a bill, and it's only a bill, that got up to Wyoming's Capitol Hill; but now it's out of committee and back on the floor, where the legislators sit and they will argue some more, as to whether it should be a law; We can hope and pray that they will, but for now it is still just a bill....

(Thank you, Schoolhouse Rock.)

Ideally, we want immunity from civil OR criminal prosecution against a householder who has to shoot a goblin who breaks in, should that become necessary. So far they've blocked off the civil side, meaning a goblin who is wounded or his heirs if he gets killed can't sue for wrongful injury or death - that 'second bite at the apple' law that went in during the 1960s Civil Rights Era to allow prosecution of white supremacists who killed blacks, where white juries wouldn't bring in convictions even in the face of overwhelming evidence - but the criminal side is still in the hands of the sheriffs and the prosecutors. They can arbitrarily decide to prosecute, or not.

Realistically, to get the bill to the governor's desk I think its supporters will have to compromise. I think this is about what we can expect. The legislators will keep the civil side blocked, and leave the decision to bring charges in the hands of the forces of law & order; but the good guys will be given guidelines to use in deciding if prosecution of the householder is warranted. Likely these will be based on whether shots are exchanged; is the intruder armed or unarmed; is there a history between the householder and the intruder; how close was the goblin when the householder fired; that sort of thing. As compromises go, that one wouldn't bee that bad.

The more states that put castle doctrine laws that heretofore have gone unstated as "well, DUH!" rules on the books as laws, the better for our side. Eventually we might end up with all the states except the Peoples Democratic Republics having them on the books.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Either way, I see it as a positive step in the right direction for some gun owners. By some, I mean the ones in Wyoming that will benefit from it if it becomes a law.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts