Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah...Christmas season...and somethat catastrophic has gone wrong at work. I'm looking at 11 hour days, every day (except the two Christmas days) until month's end to fix it.

The upswing is, some extra money.

So, I'm looking into a nice, tactical shotgun. Something for HD, fun, and the like. I'd like to keep the price around $300.00 (I have plans for the rest of the OT cash) and I do have a predilection for Mossbergs. I've had both the Persuader and the 590 recommended to me, but I'm not married to just those, if it comes down to it.

I'd like something I can turn into a bit of a "kit" gun. You know, easy to swap out grips, barrels, maybe chokes, et cetera.

So, who likes what and why?

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Mossberg 500...just one of the best for your price range, lots of accessories available,lots of stocks including pistol grips, etc...lots of Different barrels available, 3 inch chamber...what more could you want ???
Rich

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet merciful crap! I went online and checked for accessories. It's just ridiculous how many there are.

Top-folding stocks (which I love), forend pistol grips, flashlight mounts, bayonet lugs, shotshell holders for all over the thing, mag extensions, collapsible stocks, and even stuff like this: Firearm Parts and Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts Corp. | e-GunParts.com

A 10 round drum conversion system? I had no idea...

So...what's the difference with the 590? I learned that one of the main differences is in how the mag tube attaches to the barrel. The 500 seems to facilitate easier barrel changes, while the 590 seems made for easier cleaning and parts replacement. Is it true the 590 only comes in 20"?

Still, the apparent wide range of accessories really makes me lean towards it (and again, though I've never owned one, I've always liked how Mossbergs felt when firing them). I think I'll have to check both Bass and the range I'm a member of and see what kind of price they can get me.

- Coeloptera

·
Wonderment :)
33,565 Posts
extended

Remington 870 express 18" barrel 4 shot. Now wait a minute; you have the same unit as the 870 tactical; without the extended tube. Much much after market parts:) My tendency's are to Remington don't know anything about Mossbergs
$280.00 @Impact Guns
tactical $413.00 @Impact Guns

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts
I just recently got my own 870, for the same reasons u want yours, and I have no complaints. I like it a lot more than the winchester 1300 defender i was shooting before hand too.

Tons of aftermarket add ons too. Im very happy with it.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I'm partial to the mossberg 500, but only because that's what I've owned for many years. Either that or the 870 will serve you very well.

Also, just my opinion, but I would recommend to keep a HD shotgun simple and easy to handle. I don't want to fumbling around with folding stocks and all kinds of doo-hickeys when someone is trying to get in my house.

Oh, and I don't know if you have big 5s in vegas, but you can get a nice deal on a 18.5 inch and 28 inch barrel combo for around 250. That will serve well for HD and having fun.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You better take a look at Bud's Gun Shop as soon as possible they have just what your looking far on sale.
I think it's an 870 remington w/pistol grip and heat shield. I for got the barrel length for only
$ 269. 00 .

EDIT : here it is and it's an 870...I don't know why the picture didn't appear.

Remington 870 $269 after $30 Mail In Rebate!!
Model: 5059 $299.00
$269.00 after rebate
(you save $30.00)
Delivered
This Item is in stock.
Bud's Item Number: 95059
Item Condition: Factory New

Bud's Gun Shop Special Purchase!

Built on the legendary Model 870 and based on the same designs law
enforcement personnel trust their lives to every day. Equipped with a folding stock that holds 3 extra shells.

New In Box. Part Number:5059

SPECIFICATIONS

Action: Pump
Gauge: 12 GA
Barrel Length: 18"
Capacity: 6
Chamber: 3"
Length: 38 1/2"
Weight: 7 1/2 lbs
Drop: 1 1/2" @ Comb & 2 1/2" @ Heel
Stock: SyntheticFolding Pistol Grip
Finish: Matte Black

Buds Item Number: 95059

P31D100

Current Reviews: 1

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we do have Big 5s around here, so I guess I'll be doing some comparative shopping soon.

Re: HD, well, whenever I had it at home I'd have it in the simplest configuration. I'd just want something easy to swap parts and accessories on when I did take it out. - That and I have a .357 Magnum revolver and my wife has a .45 semiauto too. We're not lacking in accessible firearms. :)

I hadn't considered the 870. I'll take a look at that site, AH, and I'll talk to one of my friends who has experience with different shotguns (and a lot more training on them, he's a corrections officer).

I've never actually had a firearm shipped before, what's the deal with that? I'm in NV, so I'm not too concerned about any difficulties. Speaking of...I see the 500 can take a 14" barrel with a 6-round mag (sits flush). Insofar as I know, NV law has no problems, there, but I will, of course, check.

This is proving very helpful, thanks all. Since I'm so busy with work tight now, I'll be purchasing likely after Christmas, but then I can take it out and show off pics on the forums!

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Don't put the 14" barrel on without a tax stamp!! It would be an AOW and the ATF would not like you very much. You have to maintain an 18" barrel on shotguns.

I would recommend an 870. I have the "turkey" gun. It came with a 21" barrel with the changeable choke tubes. Add a Wilson Combat mag extension and a Knoxx spec-ops stock for a very nice tactical shotgun. I like the versatility of the choke tubes.

·
33,565 Posts

Coeloptera: Sir; I just did an informal 'goggle' 870 forum:34: search. First picture:bigeyes: wow factor. Just for fun go to 870 forum.

·
33,565 Posts
amazed

Coeloptera: "look at this 870-forum Saiga-12-com"
Name to the site.

When I Goggled in '870 forum' this; named above; came up. I just looked and it is amazing. :bigeyes:

I don't know diddle about any of this, but got a real kick out of seeing what someone else would do.:)
I hope you enjoy:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Don't put the 14" barrel on without a tax stamp!! It would be an AOW and the ATF would not like you very much. You have to maintain an 18" barrel on shotguns.
I would recommend an 870. I have the "turkey" gun. It came with a 21" barrel with the changeable choke tubes. Add a Wilson Combat mag extension and a Knoxx spec-ops stock for a very nice tactical shotgun. I like the versatility of the choke tubes.
You also have to make sure the overall length is 26" or more. The Fed's WILL bend ya over if you don't!

-UR

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two feet (and change) isn't too tough to manage. That's still awfully short for me (I'm 6'3"). That and I'm leaning towards the Mossberg 500. Barrel swap is just too easy, so is breakdown. I just see so many accessories and configurations you can get for so little money. It'll run less than half what my revolver did. I just need to decide what base configuration to order. Mossberg offers a lot, from the Cruiser, to the Persuader, to the tactical models. Then again, mag extensions and new barrels run cheap...decisions...decisions. Anyone have a favourite base configuration? I love capacity, but am not sure I'd be broken up about 6+1 vs. 8+1.

I still haven't ruled out the 870. Maybe I'll have a better idea when I can go down and handle them both one after the other. See which one feels right in the hands. Are the controls on the Remington ambi (inasmuch as they can be)? My wife's left-handed and I like to be considerate so she can use my guns easily. Oh, and does anyone know off the top of their head if either model has that interrupt feature where you can open it and insert a shell that will then fire next? I doubt I'd ever need it, but it's fun.

I will, however, check into the tax stamp issue. The guys down at Bass told me it might be possible, but I have to see what it takes and how much. Nevada is pretty lenient on a lot of that stuff, including AOWs, so I'll do my homework first, of course.

That reminds me. I'm not looking to get one per se, but does anyone know about the status of the Super Shorty? Is it an AOW and, if so, what restrictions apply? I see them being sold online.

I'll likely buy what I decide on after New Year's (I'm pulling insane OT until then and I literally only have the 24th and 25th off, 12 hour days otherwise, including weekends, but it's only office work, but then I need to go hit my classes and workouts after, so not getting much sleep), and there will, of course, be pics and a review. My friend's stepdad also has a box of 12 gauge shotshells he doesn't have a gun for, so he said I could have them. Although...I'm not sure what the green ones are. I didn't get a good look. Anyone know?

Oh, and Neophyte, I see what you meant. Haha! Funny. Let's see...shotshell holders, flashlight mount with flashlight, pistol grip with collapsable stock, looks like an adjustable sight, I don't even know what the piece right above the muzzle is, looks like it can take a bayonet, but that's the hole at the end of the mag?

look at this 870 - forum.Saiga-12.com

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I like my remington 11087 , my 870 and my mossburg 500 .

WHY THE HECK DO YOU NEED SOLD ON BUYING A NEW GUN

It should come naturely it does to me , like right now its telling me to buy that AR-15 my dealer has for 650.00 new , and i say please i cant buy any more and my mind says BUY IT BUY IT you see how my life is!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mossberg 500 and get some ati stocks .
I checked online real quickly, and I can get one of the ATI universal top fold stocks for under $50.00, pre-drilled to accept a shotshell holder. Heck, here's enough stuff to keep me busy awhile, and that's not even everything: </title> <meta name="keywords" content="gun accessories,sks stocks,remington stocks,sks stocks,sks parts,winchester stocks,ak stocks,custom shotgun stock,folding shotgun stock, gun accessories,gun parts,maadi stocks,mauser stocks"> <meta name="descri

I've never been big on Winchesters. I know, but that's just me. Maybe something about the control configuration or something.

Oh, and knightRider, I'm not needing to be sold on buying a shotgun, I decided that already. it was which one and what gives me the most bang for my buck...metaphorically speaking.

Definitely leaning towards the 500. I will check out the 870 though, to be fair.

So, anyone know anything about that Super Shorty? And what, pray-tell is glass-filled nylon, exactly?

- Coeloptera

·
33,565 Posts
Real stuff

Coeloptera: and the tooth pick holder; place to set a beer, the lighter is what caught my eye:):09:
Glad you had a moment to look.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts