Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So ,almost done with my AR15 build want to build something different, next.
I am looking at a Sten Based, Working 9mm semi auto carbine project.
Doing my research well in advance. I know that Ohio law allows for self build carbines,that are semi auto and a closed bolt, with a 16 inch barrel. Also, you must have no more than a 30 round magazine.
Just throwing around some ideas. Haven't built a weld together yet.
Trying not to break any ATF rules here, so....

My understanding is that I should start by buying a legally demilled, preferably torched, decommissioned kit.
I am building a carbine not a pistol so...
The next step before I order any more parts would be to destroy the Original barrel. Then I understand that I must throw away the original bolt. I could also have it turned down to fit the semi auto receiver tube I plan on using, then drill a firing pin hole and install a spring type firing pin. This would make it no longer a machine gun part and the firing pin assembly would be 1 of the 3 required american made parts for that gun.
Also I should modify, or destroy the original full auto trigger assembly.

At this point I believe I would be able to start a legal no tax stamp, none serial numbered 80% or 0%receiver, home build. Or I could buy a 100% serial numbered semi auto receiver, and have it sent to my ffl, if so desired.
Please correct me on any of this if I am wrong, and feal free to throw in build Ideas, links

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
I've toyed with the idea of a similar project . Keep us in the loop !!

Reactions: Moroco Mole

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The 30 round magazine limit is no longer a law in Ohio. You can have and use magazines that hold more than 30 rounds now. As far as the rest of it, I wish you the best. I have thought about doing the same thing with a PPSH 43 pistol, converting it to semi auto and a carbine.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm figure take my time gathering info then contact the ATF tell them the specifics of the build to double check myself before I start. Friend did that with a semi auto AK 47 build and they were very helpful.They even sent him a letter stating his gun was compliant. He keeps that with the gun.
They already have my number on some other stuff, and I have nothing to hide,so figure no reason to try and "ghost" it.May as well do it up front and no worries.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a detailed post on picking and demilling a STEN kit. Its for a California build. May be following this guy more if he posts again. Very detailed, a lot of picks.
http://www.freewebs.com/socal_webshooters/diy_sten_build.htm

This is SORT OF what I have in mind. STEN mark 5 with AR type floating hand guard. ACCEPT I WOULD LIKE TO ATTEMPT A WEAVER OR PICATINNY RAIL TOP, AR15 STYLE STOCK AND PISTOL GRIP, AND FLIP DOWN SIGHTS. KINDA' NEW AMERICAN TECH MEETS OLD BRITISH TECH THING.
LIKE I FOUND AN AR 15 AND A STEN THEN PUT THE 2 TOGETHER TO BUILD A GUN.
http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/customers.html HERE IS A LINK TO THE FINISH KIT COMPANY THAT POSTED THIS (ONE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS) PICK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts