semiauto .303

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JSosbe, May 26, 2008.

1. JSosbe

JSosbe G&G Enthusiast

Is there such a thing, and if not could a sportered Enfield be made into one? I would love the firepower, and am in love with the .303 cartridge

2. There is no semi-auto .303 Enfield SMLE. One reason the Enfield was replaced was to get a rimless round and semi-auto. Sporterizing an Enfield does nothing to the receiver. It usually involves changing the stock, maybe the sites and that's about it. Unless you completely rebuild the receiver and the barrel (add a port for the gas charge), you cannot make it semi-auto.

3. Well, . . .

anything like this (.303 semi-auto) can be done yet you should realize the mountain of money for engineering and metal work would
    make it a project most people would never undertake.
    Also, where would the market be to sell more of the
    original?
    So, if you are really well funded and truly want a
    "one of a kind" to show off to friends and neighbors
    then go for it.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. As WWII junkie touched on, a rimmed round is just no good for a semi or full auto firearm. The Soviets learned this through the SVT-40. They changed to a rimless 7.62x39 round and it became two very popular style of firearm. Keeping this in mind I think you would spend a lot of money to make a Semi 303 and end up with a lot of expensive junk.

6. The old Bren was an excellent full auto .303, maybe if you had the money you could build a semi auto one.
    We Brits used to be able to own them in semi auto conversions but that was in the good old days.

7. Just browsed that site you linked toolman.
    Is this a joke or what? Look at the price on this AK 47 Bayo Frog. lmao I'll pass.

AK-47 Bayonet Frog - $1,000,000.00 : Military Gun Supply, Your #1 Source for Military Guns, Ammunition, and Accessories

Ok, I think either someone doesn't know what they're doing or they're just simply on drugs. Look at the prices on these? lmao Again, I'll pass.

ATI Shotforce Shotshell Holder - $16,395.00 : Military Gun Supply, Your #1 Source for Military Guns, Ammunition, and Accessories

Masuer Bayonet Frog - $1,000,000.00 : Military Gun Supply, Your #1 Source for Military Guns, Ammunition, and Accessories

8. Enfield trader

Enfield trader G&G Newbie

There were several trial 303 semi auto

type SMLEs, here is one example, there were several more but I don't have pics
    found another pic

9. See exactly like I said semi auot rimmed rounds are old fashoned. Not something anyone would want to make today.