September 21 in History

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Huey Rider, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/benedict-arnold-commits-treason

Benedict Arnold commits treason-1780.

Monarchy abolished in France-1792.

The great Nez Perce leader Chief Joseph dies in Washington-1904.

The Great New England Hurricane-1938.

Mao Zedong outlines the new Chinese government-1949.

FDR urges repel of Neutrality Act embargo provisions-1939.

B-29 takes flight-1942.

NATIONAL CHAI DAY!!

NATIONAL PECAN COOKIE DAY!!

NATIONAL NEW YORK DAY!!

Ten Man, PAPA G, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  2. I've got pictures of the devastation that hurricane caused in Clinton, CT and a child's rocking chair made from some of the wood of a tree that came down next to my father's house. I'll try to dig some of the pictures out and post them tomorrow. It makes modern hurricane destruction look like the amateur hour even though I know it's not.

Huey Rider, PAPA G and neophyte like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Huey Rider: Sir; the B-29

https://www.historylink.org/File/3828

The Peerless Superfortress

The Superfortress had no peer during the war among propeller-driven bombers. It compared favorably with the only operational turbojet bomber, Germany’s impressive Arado Ar 234 Blitz (Lightning) in speed at altitude, and was markedly superior in service ceiling (the highest an airplane can climb while still flying horizontally) and ferry range (the farthest distance a fully equiped airplane without payload can fly).

To the observer aboard the B-29, it shouts "American" in every direction, for the impression is of substantial size, great strength, overflowing technology, and assurance that this warplane can take on any foe and win. B-29 crewmen enjoyed (if that’s correct in a combat setting) a relatively spacious working environment with standup room for all, except for the tail gunner, especially when compared to its older sibling, the cramped B-17 Flying Fortress. Cabin pressurization, heating, and air conditioning added to the crew’s comfort

Huey Rider, Ten Man and PAPA G like this.