September 23 in History

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Huey Rider, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history

Billy the Kidd arrested for first time-1875.

John Paul Jones victorious in British waters-1779.

Lewis and Clark return to St. Louis-1806.

Planet Neptune discovered-1846.

Standard Oil geologists arrive in Saudi Arabia-1933.

FDR defends his dog, Fala, in a speech-1944.

Truman announces Soviets have exploded a nuclear device-1949.

NATIONAL CHECKERS DAY AND DOGS IN POLITICS DAY!!

NATIONAL GREAT AMERICAN POT PIE DAY!!

NATIONAL SNACK STICK DAY!!

TEAL TALK DAY!!

RESTLESS LEGS AWARENESS DAY!!

2. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Dogs in Politics Day?
    More proof politics have gone to the dogs!:D

graybeard, PAPA G, neophyte and 2 others like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Huey Rider: Sir; Russian power

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/september-23-in-history.210728/

Some 25 days before Truman’s announcement, U.S. monitoring stations had recorded seismic activity within the Soviet Union that carried the hallmarks of an underground nuclear test. At first, Truman doubted that such an event had occurred. He told his scientific advisers to recheck their data.

However, once the results were confirmed, the president, seeking to pre-empt an announcement by the Kremlin or a news leak, seized the initiative. He released a brief statement that read: “We have evidence that within recent weeks, an atomic explosion occurred in the USSR.” Downplaying the concern that the Soviet test had spawned at the top levels of the government, Truman’s statement added, “The eventual development of this new force by other nations was to be expected. This probability has always been taken into account by us.”

American analysts code-named the Aug. 29 nuclear blast in Semipalatinsk, Siberia, as “Joe 1,” an allusion to Josef Stalin, the Soviet dictator. (The Soviets called it RDS-1 or “First Lightning.”) The design copied “Fat Man,” the U.S. plutonium bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, in the final weeks of World War II.

4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

ChaZam, graybeard, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I didn't realize the Clintons were that old! ;)

6. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

True, plus, if they hadn't, the "elites" over there would still be riding camels, instead of Rolls Royces.:p

graybeard, PAPA G, Big Dog and 3 others like this.
  7. Hubby has Restless Leg Syndrome and believe me, I'm aware of it every night. I have to be sound asleep before he is or I'm awake for half the night. At 6'5" and 225 lbs, when his RLS fires up it's like trying to go to sleep next to a beached whale. :mad:

8. EvaaWill89

EvaaWill89 G&G Newbie

I understand you perfectly. I have the same husband and this is really a problem. If I wake up in the middle of the night, then it is almost impossible to fall asleep because of my husband

9. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I don't know if it's restless leg, or not, but my wife got tired of getting kicked outta bed! :oops: When our oldest left home & we had a spare bedroom, I was put in it!:(

graybeard, neophyte and PAPA G like this.
  10. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My sister and BIL sleep in separate beds.
    I toss and turn, and am alwas curling up then stretching out. Were I married, we'd likely do the same.

graybeard, neophyte and PAPA G like this.
  11. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

RLS is most often the result of a magnesium deficiency in the nerve chemistry. Folks take calcium supplements, but seldom take a magnesium supplement to balance it. There are powdered calcium/magnesium products on the market that work very well. The one I use is CalMac, in the 1:1 ratio, from the Nutrina company. You can order it online.

https://www.nutrinadirect.com/CalMac_Sport_p/11003.htm

12. I'll let him know so he can have it checked out. Thanks!

13. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

information: understanding

https://www.health.harvard.edu/sleep/ask-the-doctor-sleep-and-magnesium-supplements

Is there a reason to think you lack magnesium? Since most of the magnesium in the body is inside cells and bones, measurement of blood levels does not tell the whole story. Magnesium deficiency is common in hospitalized individuals, but it is unusual in healthy people. Diuretics, such as hydrochlorothiazide (Hydrodiuril) and furosemide (Lasix), increase magnesium loss in the urine. Long-term use of proton-pump inhibitors—including omeprazole (Prilosec) and lansoprazole (Prevacid)—can interfere with magnesium absorption. In most other individuals, dietary magnesium should be sufficient.

To increase your magnesium intake, focus on eating more green leafy vegetables, nuts, and seeds. These foods are part of a healthy diet and also associated with lower blood pressure and a reduced risk of heart disease.

- William Kormos, MD
    Editor in Chief, Harvard Men's Health Watch

PAPA G, Huey Rider and graybeard like this.
  14. graybeard

graybeard G&G Evangelist

Dang.....My RLS is a by-product of my spinal cord injury. I kick like a mule at night. Its really aggravating when I'm very tired from the day and just want to snooze, but cannot because of the spasms.
    Wife doesn't like the separate bed set up, but if she wants sleep, its the only way she can have any.