close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ser 80 1991 vs. USPc 45

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I've got a Ser 80 '91a1 that has been customized slightly; 3# trigger, McCormick trigger & hammer, and Ed Brown beavertail. Problem is, I never shoot it. Would I be better off selling it and getting stainless USPc 45? Do I really need a 1911 in the safe?

2. Stick with the Colt. Money value will acrue and you will have something to leave your children if not, how much do you want for it?

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Shame on you! Every God-fearing American needs one. Get out and shoot it! If you don't shoot that one, what difference would it make to get a different one? You have an excellent gun. Remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Of course, this is just my opinion. My answer to your problem is to get the USP and keep the Colt. It is impossible to own to many guns. Good Shooting!

4. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

Eric - that seems to be apart of the problem. The 1911 I had wanted originally was a $2000 custom (which, by the way was way too expensive!). After the work I've had done, I'm still at less than $1000 but it's still not that custom. I'll probably keep my Colt. I'll also probably spend more than another grand in mods :rolleyes:

5. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Do it a little at a time. Buy your own parts (Brownell's) and get quotes on labor, especially if you don't do your own and own a mill/lathe. Shop around, then ask opinions on this forum. The other issue is 'time' some smiths take years. Bottom line, always ask for pics of the work you want done and an ETA. A 1911 can become a lifelong project. but it will always be the gun you show 'company' first. Hang on to it, I know where you're coming from. Good Shooting!

6. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I guess I'm lucky. I have been through 3 smiths and I really like the work of two of them!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I'm keeping my '91a1