Series 70/Series 80

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Wiley455, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Wiley455

Wiley455 G&G Newbie

Question: What is the difference between the series 70 and series 80 45 autos?

2. Wiley, For the most part, it's the firing pin safety, which Colt added for liability reasons. It consists of two levers in the frame, which push up on a spring loaded plunger in the slide when the trigger is pulled. Some people don't like the '80 series guns, because they feel that these parts inhibit a good trigger, 'tho most pistolsmiths don't agree (it just takes a bit more attention to detail).

3. GrayHair

GrayHair G&G Newbie

Hi Wiley, What Don replyed is correct. I have used both & I prefer the series 80. I had it accurized back in 1986 by Jim Clark. I had asked him about the trigger work, if it would be a problem. His answer was, it takes a little longer to do but did I think he would be going out of buisness because Colt added the extra safety parts. Rest his Soul, he did a great job. If you didn't look at the markings on the slide, you would not know it was a series 80. That 45 has not been touched by any other Gunsmith, & the trigger weight in all these years has gotten better not worse.
    Just my 2 pennies worth.