close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

series 70

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JMc, Mar 19, 2002.

1. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

Any suggestions on price range of a used series 70?

Thanks,

James

2. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    gotta narrow this a bit, kind of like looking for a price range on a used GTO. I'll take a stab- Blued COLT 1911 used 80~90% $390~$550

3. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

Thanks Jerry!

Haven't seen it yet. All I know is it is a series 70. Will respond again after I take look see.

4. James,
    It's hard to say without looking at the gun. I have been selling off a few guns and have sold a couple of 70s. I had a Colt Custom Commander, nickle, built to the same specs as the Gold Cup, about 80 percent. I sold it for $650. to a Colt collector. I sold a blue Government Model, about 70 percent finish, Trigacon night sites, very lightly fired, but carried a lot for $600. to the same man. A 70 series gun will usually bring a little more than an 80 if the condition is the same. I wish I could be of more help, but I would have to see the gun. Best of luck.

5. Jim Messer

Jim Messer G&G Newbie

I recently saw a newly manufactured series 70 made by Colt. By this I mean it was made in 2001 and stamped on the slide as a series 70. I do not know if it had the new firing pin safety. They were asking $900.00 for it. Never saw one before so I am just supposing Colt made it. That is what the dealer told me. The finish on it was not as nice as the real series 70 Colt's that were available at the gun show. The real series 70's at the gun show were priced at $500.00 to $1100.00 depending on if it was a Government Model or Gold Cup. Seems that when a Colt gets up to over $1000.00 for a Gold Cup that, if you look long enough, you can get a Kimber or even Baer for the same money and it will out shoot the Gold Cup any day. I guess the part of the country you are from makes some difference and how bad you really want a series 70 is what will determine selling price. The Gold Cup is a nice pistol but if you compare it to Kimber, Baer, Wilson or other custom guns when you have to spend over $1000.00 I would go with one of the custom jobs if I could.

6. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

Yeah, I know, worse than arthritis, I just keep coming back. Haven't had the opportuinty to see the pistol, but plan on it Friday or Friday night.

I bought a magazine called "The Complete Book Of The Combat 1911" and have read and rearead the article on buying a used 1911, but don't know squat on how to place a value.

All I know now is that it is Colt, Series 70 blued and the asking price is $550.00.

Saw one at the Bullet Trap in Plano, but it felt strange when I racked the slide. Felt like the recoil spring was too soft. Had several mags, and carry pouch $599.

Are the bushings the same for the S-70 as all the other 1911's? Or does the S-70 have a Collet bushing and the others do not?

One other question...is take down the same?

Thanks,

James

7. Jim Messer

Jim Messer G&G Newbie

JMc-

All I can say is that you really have to watch when buying any used gun. Most of the Series 70 pistols I have come across have been altered in some way by a previous owner (owners). They install all kinds of custom parts, get the old dremel tool out and go to work. If the pistol has been altered in any way from its original form the value would be much less, unless is has been fully customized by a reputable gunsmith. If you look long enough you should be able to find a Series 70 unaltered Government Model for about the price you have mentioned. All the 1911 pistols tear down the same way. If you do get one that has been hand fitted you may need a bushing wrench to disassemble. Other than that they are the same. I think the Series 70 did have the collet bushing. I am not sure if they all did or if just the Gold Cup. You can get through Brownells prefit barrels and bushings that work pretty well. When you do get a Series 70 do not expect it to be a target pistol. They are disigned as a close range combat pistol, nothing else. If you want one just to have a Series 70 that is fine, just do not alter it if you want to keep the value. I have owned several of them and they will shoot all day long if they have not been screwed up by someone. If you get one and decide to have it customized you might as well go ahead and spend the money and get a Kimber, etc. You will be better off in the long run.

8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

My Gov. model '70 has the collet bushing.

9. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

The dude went out of town.

Would the COLT 1991 A-1 be a better choice? Bachman Pawn and Gun has this pistol in Matte for $469.95 or Stainless for $569.95 in either the Government or Commander model. They also carry the Springfield PB 9108L STD MIL SPEC for $429.95 and the PX9109L LOADED N SITE for $579.95. Anyhing after this is out of my price range.

I bought the SAM Commodore for $299.99 on 2/26/02, it arrived the first week in March and never got to shoot it. There were rust spots on the inside of the slide, hammer, breech face, and the barrel was pitted and looked used. Also, inside the frame just below where the slide stop fits there was some solidified powder. Didn't like it and sent it back 3/11/02 and still waiting on my refund.

10. Jim Messer

Jim Messer G&G Newbie

JMc-

If you don't have your heart set on a 1911 you might consider the Glock in .45ACP. At a recent gun show they were $489.00 for any Glock in any caliber and some had night sights. They are good pistols and seem to have little problem. The Springfield or Colt 1911-A1 would also be fine. One thing about buying something new is that you will have a warranty. Parts for the 1911 style pistols are plentiful so you might want to stay with one of these if you ever decide to change things up a bit. I really hope you find what you want and it is good to research your purchase before you buy. I go to the Market Hall Gun Show once a year. I think you are close. You might go to one of the shows and pay to get in and stand near the door. Do as the vendors do. When you see someone walk in with a 1911 that catches your eye, ask him what he wants for it. You would be surprised at what you can get. This last November I was at Market Hall and a guy walked in with a box and I asked him what he had. It was a Les Baer Premier II in new condition. I got it for $900.00. I think they are about $1500.00 new. You never know. For the money you have to spend you may be able to get a really nice 1911 if you take your time.

11. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

Jim,

Got to have a 1911. The next Market Hall show is April 13-14, so, maybe I will wait. Was the Les Baer for yourself? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks,

James

12. Jim Messer

Jim Messer G&G Newbie

JMc-

Actually I bought the Baer because I thought it was a real good deal. And it was. I knew they were real expensive and had a good reputation. If you are like me you have to sell something to get something else. I had sold two bolt action rifles at Market Hall and had $1,000.00 in my hot little hands. I went home with the Baer and shot it. It was great. It was so well fit, well finished and shot right where you held it. I kept it for about six months and then the urge to get something else struck. I live in the Panhandle, around Amarillo. We have 5 gun show per year. I tried to sell the pistol at every gun show and had no luck at all. People would ask what I was carrying and when I said Les Baer they would not even look at it. It was just too expensive. Finally at the last gun show one of the dealers offered me$1000.00 for it, so I took it. I found out that when you buy one of these high end pistols you had better like it real well because you will have a hard time getting rid of it. Just think of the guy that paid retail for it. He took a big loss when I gave him $900.00 for it. He told me he bought it new.

13. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Attention: Jim Messer,
    Your advice and observation(s) regarding the resale value of the high end 1911s is probably the best advice that James could listen to. I have made the same observations over many years. I have not attempted to sell any of my "high end" 1911s, but because of my ownership of them, I have more than a fleeting interest in what they go for at shows, and you are totally correct.
    JAMES, read carefully what Jim says, and take warning.
    Best of luck, Happy Holiday, safe shootin'.
    Jeffro (Jeff)

14. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

Jim,

I went to school with a girl from you neck of the woods at Hill Jr College. She played on the basketball team, very pretty. I have two shotguns and will not part with them because I am a pack rat. Sold my 1970 F100 last year. Had it snice 1980.

Sure don't like spending a lot of $$ and then not getting what I want. Do you know what the least expensive 1911 is that is manfactured in the US?

Did you replace the Les Baer with another 1911, if so, what?

Thank you and Jeffro for your comments.

Happy Easter,

James

15. Jim Messer

Jim Messer G&G Newbie

JMc-

I have not replaced the Baer. Kept the money instead. I like to come to the Dallas gun show. Lots to look at and prices are not all that bad. In the way of 1911 pistols right now I have a Wilson 1996A2 that I got used in a trade. It was blue with a little wear on the corners but shot great. I took it to Thunder Ranch last July and it never failed in 3 days and 1,000 rounds. I have since sent it back to Wilson and had in refinished in Black Armour Tuff, a paint on bake on finish. It now looks like new. I like it so much that I will, in all likelyhood, keep it. It also is one of the high end .45's. I have seen them used for $1200.00 and up. I got this one for $800.00. The problem, besides the initial cash outlay, with owning one of these pistols is that they perform so much better than a stock Colt, etc. that it is hard to go back. As far as a 1911 that you would probably like I would stick with Colt or Springfield. I know you can pick one up for less than $500.00 in excellent shape. The clones out there I would stay away from. They are sort of like the high enders. If you get one new for $350.00 and find you do not like it you will have to settle for about 1/2 the purchase price to sell it. Also, not all clones accept standard 1911 parts. By our visits here on the forum I can tell you really want a 1911 and I hope you get just what you want. Just don't jump into anything. Be patient and you will find just what you want. Before I bought anything, clone or otherwise, I would get on one of the forums and ask all the questions I could. Let others experiences help you to save YOUR MONEY. I would hate to tell you of all the $$$$$ I have blown away on making bad mistakes on guns. My motto is that I can't have one of everything, but I can have everything one at a time. Have a GREAT EASTER---TAKE CARE-

16. JMc

JMc G&G Newbie

Jim,

Never seen a Wilson or Les Baer other than in a magazine or on the I'net, did hear they are exceptional and expensive.

How did you like Thunder Ranch? Did your shooting improve?

I guess my next move is to get my refund and go to Market Hall on Saturday the 13th, just hope I have it by then.

Do you own an M1 or other such rifle? I thought I read a post reply from you on one of these boards.

Hope you and yours had a good Easter. Again, to you, Jeffro, Hank, Jerry and Wes, THANKS for all the information.

James,