close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Server move not noticed? I think not!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Klaus, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, I sure noticed the move. Had to cut and paste new addy. Had to manually log in. Then when I browsed the forums, I noticed ALL the photographs went away. A LOT of the posts disappeared, too.

2. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

I think most of them are back now, and the domain is a pain to put in, but at least its back, I was having withdrawls.

3. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Yeah, I'm sorry about all this... the register did not switch the domain name between servers very promptly. It seems that there was a 6-8hr. delay with some people on this server and some on the old server. The database had to be downloaded multiple times and (somehow?) posts got jumbled into other forums. Please bear with us and we'll try to sort everything out...

Jesse

4. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

6-8 HOURS,HELL I STILL HAD TO FIGHT TO FIND MY WAY HERE.I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET HERE FOR 2 DAYS.THE LEAST YOU GUYS COULD DO IS FOR WARN US OF THESE CHANGES.IF THINGS KEEP GOING THIS WAY YOUR GONNA SHUT YOUSELFS DOWN.ALL THE SAVAGE 99 GUYS LEFT FOR THIS REASON LAST TIME YOU CHANGED 2 WEEKS AGO.LETS GET IT TOGETHER,IT WAS FINE THE WAY IT WAS WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE FORUM,YOU'VE CHANGEDIT TWICE IN 2 WEEKS......

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Well again I'm sorry, but when we run out of memory on our server and can't get anymore space we have to move. If someone gets upset and leaves over server and site upgrade,well, there's nothing I can do. I was very up front about the changes we were going to have to undergo from the very beginning. We suffered downtime on the site first due to the old software and the bandwith it used, this time the switch was due to space. We are now on a fast server host with lots of memory and bandwith. If we have to move off of this we will need our own dedicated server. I made the move at more expense to me but was happy to do it to get a better server. The problems getting to this site was due to the register who can give problems to any site. again, I apologize. To answer your comments further: if we hadn't switched, yes we would be shut down and no, the old software was not fine. it was old, archaic and used 4 times the amount of memory and bandwith this software uses at 1/4 the speed and performance. As the internet continues to upgrade security settings, all forums will have software similar to this because that's technology. We will try to give better notice on upgrades, swiches, ect... but when you administer a website, sometimes you have to make quick changes to avoid further downtime. To all I say I'm sorry and I'll try to do better.

Jesse

6. It took me a couple of days also to get back,not real computer literate,I finally got back by typing it in manually.

7. Well I was pretty much a computer virgin, and I figured it out!
    The guys are doing a great job, not an easy one. I too lost some posts, but things like this happen. Personally I figure it's our priveledge not our right to use their site.
    I know I complained at first but got used to it eventually. We alll will, it's worth it to access such a good site.