close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LOCKnLOAD, May 27, 2002.

1. I have read several posts on this forum and others that try and relate looseness of your 1911 to better reliability and less accuracy. I wonder aboutt his because my Colt Stainless M1991
    does not have any shakes about it.

I can shake it and not hear anything moving at all, everything feels tight. Granted I have about 2000 rounds throught it, but the gun shoots pretty accurate. The only thing I am going to do is put in a full lenght guide rod in, and I am sure that will give me a little more accuracy. I wonder what any of you have experience with "loose" 1911's and how that might detract from accuracy.

Also, I have 2 NIB Springfield "loaded" models and boy are they tight. Tuff to pull the slide back...much stiffer spring than my Colt???

Any comments?

:fuss:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I ALSO HAVE A SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, V-12 STAINLESS PORTED THAT IS VERY TIGHT. I HAVE ONLY PUT ABOUT 150 ROUNDS THROUGH IT THOUGH. PROBABLY LOOSEN UP SOME LATER.

3. Though "slide rattle" is something everyone - even "newbies" notice on a 1911, it really doesn't have as much to do with accuracy as you might imagine. Take a poll of 'smiths around the country, and you'll usually get an answer such as an extra 10-15% accuracy - providing everything else has been done to make the gun more accurate. The biggest source of accuracy problems in a 1911 pattern pistol is a sloppy bushing fit to the barrel, and to a lesser extent, the slide. Actually, this is a good thing, because having a match bushing fit is also the cheapest thing you can have done to improve the accuracy of your 1911.
    Lock N Load, You may find the guide rod helps your accuracy, and it might detract from your accuracy. I've seen it happen both ways. In most cases, I don't think it makes much difference.