close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shaun !?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Apr 29, 2002.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

you ok, buddy?? were you any where near murfeeboro?? hope all you Tennesse boy are all right!!

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Oh I am about 35 or 40 miles north of there actualy yesterday was sunny and nice in my area. I hate those twisters being a west coast boy I can say I prefer quakes they come and go without notice there is no wait like with a Twister. I drove into that one Nashville had a couple of years back and if it wasn't for fast thinking about getting under an overpass there could have been problems

3. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Glad to hear your OK.

Here in Kansas we know all about those darn things, no fun at all. And yep, the anxiety starts with the "Watch" they start you out with. All you can do is pray and wait.

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Tornado about got me

For what it's worth...I've heard that being under an underpass when one passes over is like being in sort of a venturi, if you know what I mean. The air movement accelerates as it moves underneath.

Haven't had to make that choice yet but it seems that any kind of shelter would be better than staying out in the open, and getting under an underpass would look inviting. Guess my thinking on this may not be the safest approach.

I was staring at an approaching tornado one time in El Dorado, Kansas. My summer job at that time was working in an oil refinery around huge storage tanks which contained superheated asphalts (250-400 Degrees F), and other petrocarbons. As I looked at the tornado, and listened to the sound of what I thought was a locomotive train, my thought was where in the xell do I go that's safe. Didn't want to get boiled if one of the tanks burst. Fortunately, the tornado veered south just before it got to the Petrofina Refinery and eventually went southeast across town, killing upwards of 15 people.

That was an experience I'll never forget and hope to never go through again.

Oxford
    :eek:

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

that would be scary -- I have gotten to the point I don't pay attention to the warnings until I hear about sightings then I turn the scanner onto the weather function and listen. I have one benefit NO trailers around me (tornado Magnet = mobile home). I still say I'll take a good shaker anyday I went through Oaklands big one 12 years ago and that was nothing

6. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

My grandparents were in that tornader in El Dorado, quite an awful site. None of them were hurt, but they had friends that were.

I've been close but not that close. 5miles is as close as I wanna get. We were out fishing and watched one about 5 miles away for about 15 minutes then it just disappeared.

Your right about not paying much attention until a sighting. Although the lightning we get is incredible. We're on a hill and boy oh boy do we get some strikes. So we sit in the pick-up and go out into our field and watch the lite show.

7. Shaun and Stopper,

Sure am glad to hear you and your families made it just fine. My heart went out when I heard about the storms and the wake it left.

Anyway, it sure is good to hear everyone is fine....yepper....fer sure.

8. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

its funny the worst parts of storms seem to miss my area --

9. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

just had another warning siren a few hours ago, i took my post in the yard to watch for twisters, but none should up. hope they keep missing us.